Growth and Financial Liberalization under Capital Collateral Constraints: The Striking Case of the Stochastic AK model with CARA Preferences
We consider a small-open, collateral-constrained AK economy. We show that the combination of CARA preferences and uncertainty on capital inflows in such an economy generates long-term (expected) growth while the deterministic counterpart does not. In this framework, long-term growth is entirely driven by precautionary savings. In particular, we show that the asymptotic growth rate of the expected capital stock is an increasing function of both the risk parameter and the Arrow-Prat absolute risk aversion parameter. The model also predicts that economies that are more financially integrated through international borrowing experience lower consumption growth volatility relative to output growth volatility.
|Date of creation:||20 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:||20 Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amse-aixmarseille.fr/en|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1993.
"Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C93-016, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1992. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1992. "Risk-taking, global diversification, and growth," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 61, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1992. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anne Epaulard & Aude Pommeret, 2004.
"Financial Integration, Growth, and Volatility,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
04.18, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Giorgio Fabbri & Patrick A. Pintus, 2014.
"Short-Run Pain, Long-Run Gain: The Conditional Welfare Gains from International Financial Integration,"
- Raouf Boucekkine & Giorgio Fabbri & Patrick A. Pintus, 2012. "Short-Run Pain, Long-Run Gain : the Conditional Welfare Gains from International Financial Integration," Documents de recherche 12-14, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Daniel Cohen & Jeffrey Sachs, 1991.
"Growth and External Debt Under Risk of Debt Repudiation,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 437-472
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cohen, Daniel & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1986. "Growth and external debt under risk of debt repudiation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 529-560, June.
- Daniel Cohen & Jeffrey Sachs, 1985. "Growth and External Debt Under Risk of Debt Repudiation," NBER Working Papers 1703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2004.
"Growth Volatility and Financial Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
10560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar S. Prasad & Ashley D. Taylor, 2009.
"Thresholds in the Process of International Financial Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
14916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ayhan Kose, M. & Prasad, Eswar S. & Taylor, Ashley D., 2011. "Thresholds in the process of international financial integration," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 147-179, February.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Taylor, Ashley D., 2009. "Thresholds in the Process of International Financial Integration," IZA Discussion Papers 4133, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar S. & Taylor, Ashley D., 2009. "Thresholds in the process of international financial integration," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5149, The World Bank.
- Steger, Thomas M., 2005. "Stochastic growth under Wiener and Poisson uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 311-316, March.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Patrick Pintus, 2012.
"History’s a curse: leapfrogging, growth breaks and growth reversals under international borrowing without commitment,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 27-47, March.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & PINTUS, Patrick A., . "History's a curse: leapfrogging, growth breaks and growth reversals under international borrowing without commitment," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2450, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Philippe Weil, 1990. "Nonexpected Utility in Macroeconomics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(1), pages 29-42.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aim:wpaimx:1347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.