Cross-Hedging Cottonseed Meal
This study examines the feasibility of cross-hedging cottonseed meal with soybean meal futures. The Bayesian tests for market efficiency on the cash and futures price data soundly rejects the presence of nonstationary root. The simple linear regression of cottonseed meal cash prices on soybean meal futures provides a direct price movement relationship. Using the estimated hedge-ratios, the net realized prices are calculated for seven different cash markets. The net realized prices exhibit risk efficiency superior to cash pricing. The empirical analyses suggest that soybean meal futures can be used as a potential cross-hedging vehicle for cottonseed meal.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (706) 542-2481
Fax: (706) 542-0739
Web page: http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/agecon/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Castelino, Mark G & Francis, Jack C & Wolf, Avner, 1991. "Cross-Hedging: Basis Risk and Choice of the Optimal Hedging Vehicle," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 179-210, May.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996.
"Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996. "Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging," Staff General Research Papers 5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- DeJong, David N., 1992. "Co-integration and trend-stationarity in macroeconomic time series : Evidence from the likelihood function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 347-370, June.
- Heifner, Richard G., 1972. "Optimal Hedging Levels and Hedging Effectiveness in Cattle Feeding," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- Roger A. Dahlgran, 2000. "Cross-hedging the cottonseed crush: A case study," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 141-158.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ugeofs:16707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.