Cross-Hedging Cottonseed Meal
This study examines the feasibility of cross-hedging cottonseed meal with soybean meal futures. A simple linear regression of cottonseed meal cash prices on soybean meal futures provides a direct price movement relationship. Using the estimated hedge ratios, the net realized prices are calculated for seven different cash markets. The net realized prices are higher than cash prices in three of the four years evaluated. The empirical analyses suggest soybean meal futures can be used as a potential cross-hedging vehicle for cash cottonseed meal.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 301 Conner Hall, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602-7509|
Web page: http://www.agecon.uga.edu/~jab/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- Roger A. Dahlgran, 2000. "Cross-hedging the cottonseed crush: A case study," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 141-158.
- Castelino, Mark G & Francis, Jack C & Wolf, Avner, 1991. "Cross-Hedging: Basis Risk and Choice of the Optimal Hedging Vehicle," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 179-210, May.
- Tomislav Vukina & James L. Anderson, 1993. "A State-Space Forecasting Approach to Optimal Intertemporal Cross-Hedging," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(2), pages 416-424.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996.
"Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996. "Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Heifner, Richard G., 1972. "Optimal Hedging Levels and Hedging Effectiveness in Cattle Feeding," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- DeJong, David N., 1992. "Co-integration and trend-stationarity in macroeconomic time series : Evidence from the likelihood function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 347-370, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jloagb:14691. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.