Trends in Australian Agriculture
Trends in Australian Agriculture, was released on 5 July 2005. The report examines some of the key trends in Australia's agriculture sector over the last 20 years or so. While continuing to grow in absolute terms, the size and importance of agriculture has declined relative to the rest of the economy. Within the sector, there have been marked changes in the number and size of Australian farms, the make-up of agricultural activities and the production and marketing strategies employed by farmers. Some of the key factors shaping these trends have been changes in consumer demands and government policies, technological advances and innovation and emerging environmental concerns. The unrelenting decline in the sector's terms of trade (that is, the ratio of prices received to prices paid) has been an important source of pressure for adaptation and change by Australian farmers. The sector has also had to respond to the continuing challenge of variations in seasonal conditions.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Level 28, 35 Collins St, Melbourne Victoria 3000|
Phone: 61 3 9653 2100
Fax: 61 3 9653 2199
Web page: http://www.pc.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peterson, Deborah C. & Dwyer, Gavan & Appels, David & Fry, Jane, 2004.
"Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin,"
Staff Working Papers
31925, Productivity Commission.
- D. Peterson & G. Dwyer & D. Appels & J. Fry, 2005. "Modelling Water Trade in the Southern Murray-Darling Basin," Urban/Regional 0506007, EconWPA.
- Rosalie McLachlan & Colin Clark & Ian Monday, 2002. "Australia's service sector: a study in diversity," Development and Comp Systems 0203002, EconWPA.
- Dixon, Peter B & Menon, Jayant, 1997.
"Measures of Intra-industry Trade as Indicators of Factor Market Disruption,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 73(222), pages 233-37, September.
- Peter B. Dixon & Jayant Menon,, . "Measures of Intra-Industry Trade as Indicators of Factor Market Disruption," Discussion Papers 95/15, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Peter B. Dixon & Jayant Menon, 1995. "Measures of Intra-Industry Trade as Indicators for Factor Market Disruption," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-113, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Philippa Dee & Kevin Hanslow, 2002. "Multilateral liberalisation of services trade," International Trade 0207002, EconWPA.
- Edwards, Geoff W., 2003. "The story of deregulation in the dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), March.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Prasada Rao, D. S., 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agricultrue: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries, 1980-2000," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa: Plenary Sessions 245928, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Martin, Will & Mitra, Devashish, 2001. "Productivity Growth and Convergence in Agriculture versus Manufacturing," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(2), pages 403-22, January.
- Bradley, R. & Gans, J., 1996.
"Growth in Australian Cities,"
96/13, New South Wales - School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:prodrp:31903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.