Agricultural Policy Reform and Industry Adjustment in Australia and New Zealand
Some sectors of Australian and New Zealand farming have been heavily assisted in the past. New Zealand underwent an economy-wide deregulation in the mid-to-late 980s that included abrupt removal of practically all agricultural assistance. Policy reform in Australia has been more gradual and is industry focused, but in some cases substantial industry assistance has been withdrawn. Deregulation of the Australian dairy industry, and that of the sheep and beef sector in New Zealand, are discussed as case studies of these deregulations. Conclusions are drawn from these experiences, a major one being that previously-assisted farmers can successfully make the transition to market-driven agriculture.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://agadjust.aers.psu.edu/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, R.W.M., 1993. "New Zealand Agricultural Policy Review: 1991-93," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(03), December.
- Harris, David N., 2004. "Producer adjustment to policy reform: A case study on the Australian dairy industry," 2004 Conference (48th), February 11-13, 2004, Melbourne, Australia 58456, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Chadee, Doren & Johnson, R.W.M., 1994. "The Uruguay Round: Final Agreements and Directions: Domestic Support," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 62(02), August.
- Johnson, R.W.M., 1991. "Current Changes in New Zealand Agriculture: A Review," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 59(02), August.
- Edwards, Geoff W., 2003. "The story of deregulation in the dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(1), March.
- F.G. Scrimgeour & E.C. Pasour, 1996. "A Public Choice Perspective on Agricultural Policy Reform: Implications of the New Zealand Experience," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 257-267.
- A. Valdés, 1994. "Agricultural Reforms In Chile And New Zealand: A Review," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 189-201.
- Johnson, R.W.M. & Schroder, William R. & Taylor, N.W., 1989. "Deregulation and the New Zealand Agricultural Sector: A Review," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 57, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iapr04:15762. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.