Measures of Intra-Industry Trade as Indicators of Factor Market Disruption
Concepts of intraindustry trade (IIT) are often used to indicate the extent to which trade growth is accommodated without factor market disruption. The most common indicators are movements in Grubel-Lloyd indexes. However, these are sometimes misleading. The authors develop two other indicators. The first involves changes in IIT. While this provides a measure of the contribution of IIT growth to trade growth, it can overestimate the contribution of nondisruptive trade growth. This problem is overcome by their second indicator, the contribution of dynamic intraindustry trade or matched changes in trade. All three indicators are illustrated with Australian manufacturing data. Copyright 1997 by The Economic Society of Australia.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayant Menon, 1994. "Trade Liberalisation, Closer Economic Relations and Intra-Industry Specialisation," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 27(2), pages 31-42.
- Pomfret, Richard, 1985. "Categorical Aggregation and International Trade: A Comment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 483-85, June.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris R, 1983. "On the Measurement of Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 900-908, December.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1981. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 959-73, October.
- Finger, J M, 1975. "Trade Overlap and Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 581-89, December.
- Clive Hamilton & Paul Kniest, 1991. "Trade liberalisation, structural adjustment and intra-industry trade: A note," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(2), pages 356-367, June.
- Jayant Menon & Peter Dixon, 1996. "How important is intra-industry trade in trade growth?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 161-175, April.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-23, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notcre:95/15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.