Agricultural trade for food security in Africa: A Ricardian model approach
Regionalism and food security is a relatively neglected topic with very limited literature. We use a Ricardian trade model with multiple goods and countries which embeds a structure of gravity equation and yield variability. Our study shows that integration with African markets of staple foods is associated with higher growth, underpinning the need for growth strategies to emphasize scaling up and diversifying exports within Africa. Africa needs to unlock its high potential untapped land and fill up the yield gap. We found as well that enhanced competitiveness and reduced barriers to trade are the two critical areas of action.
|Date of creation:||24 May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dorosh, Paul A. & Dradri, Simon & Haggblade, Steven, 2009. "Regional trade, government policy and food security: Recent evidence from Zambia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 350-366, August.
- Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso, 2003. "Gravity model: An application to trade between regional blocs," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 31(2), pages 174-187, June.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reimer, Jeffrey J. & Li, Man, 2010.
"Trade Costs and the Gains from Trade in Crop Agriculture,"
2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado
61169, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jeffrey J. Reimer & Man Li, 2010. "Trade Costs and the Gains from Trade in Crop Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1024-1039.
- Diao, Xinshen & Hazell, Peter & Resnick, Danielle & Thurlow, James, 2006.
"The role of agriculture in development: implications for Sub-Saharan Africa,"
DSGD discussion papers
29, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diao, Xinshen & Hazell, P.B.R. & Resnick, Danielle & Thurlow, James, 2007. "The role of agriculture in development: Implications for Sub-Saharan Africa," Research reports 153, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 2000.
"A Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods under Nonhomothetic Preferences: Demand Complementarities, Income Distribution, and North-South Trade,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(6), pages 1093-1120, December.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1999. "A Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods under Non-homothetic Preferences: Demand Complementarities, Income Distribution, and North-South Trade," Discussion Papers 1241, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Rashid, Shahidur & Minot, Nicholas, 2010. "Are Staple Food Markets in Africa Efficient? Spatial Price Analyses and Beyond," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 58562, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Longo, Robert & Sekkat, Khalid, 2004.
"Economic Obstacles to Expanding Intra-African Trade,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1309-1321, August.
- Roberto Longo & Khalid Sekkat, 2004. "Economic obstacles to expanding intra-African trade," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7358, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley & Samuelson, Paul A, 1977.
"Comparative Advantage, Trade, and Payments in a Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 823-839, December.
- R. Dornbusch & S. Fischer & P. A. Samuelson, 1976. "Comparative Advantage, Trade and Payments in a Ricardian Model With a Continuum of Goods," Working papers 178, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- World Bank & International Finance Corporation, 2006. "Doing Business in 2006 : Creating Jobs," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7421.
- Souleymane COULIBALY & Lionel FONTAGNÉ, 2004.
"South-South Trade: Geography Matters,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
04.07, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Souleymane Coulibaly & Lionel Fontagné, 2006. "South-South Trade: Geography Matters," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270506, HAL.
- Souleymane Coulibaly & Lionel Fontagné, 2004. "South – South Trade: Geography Matters," Working Papers 2004-08, CEPII research center.
- Souleymane Coulibaly & Lionel Fontagné, 2004. "South-South Trade : Geography Matters," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04041, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Golub, Stephen S & Hsieh, Chang-Tai, 2000. "Classical Ricardian Theory of Comparative Advantage Revisited," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 221-234, May.
- Reimer, Jeffrey J. & Li, Man, 2009. "Yield Variability and Agricultural Trade," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(2), October.
- Bougheas, Spiros & Demetriades, Panicos O. & Morgenroth, Edgar L. W., 1999.
"Infrastructure, transport costs and trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 169-189, February.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos Demetriades & Edgar Morgenroth, 1996. "Infrastructure, Transport Costs and Trade," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/7, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Andrew K. Rose & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "National Money as a Barrier to International Trade: The Real Case for Currency Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 386-390, May.
- Nico Meyer & Tamas Fenyes & Martin Breitenbach & Ernst Idsardi, 2010. "Bilateral and Regional Trade Agreements and Technical Barriers to Trade: An African Perspective," OECD Trade Policy Papers 96, OECD Publishing.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:123842. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.