Consumer preferences for ground beef packaged under a modified atmosphere
The main objective of this paper is to identify factors that determine consumers’ purchase decisions for ground beef offered with different packaging technologies. Consumers’ increasing knowledge about food technologies and changes in food labeling regulation influence agribusiness’ future product development and marketing strategies. Non-hypothetical choice experiments with ground beef, conducted in the USA, are used to quantify consumers’ valuation of technology-related attributes namely shelf life, color and packaging. How alternative types of information affect consumers’ WTP is of particular importance to processors and food safety analysts. This paper’s methodological contribution lies in applying advanced methods to elicit consumers' estimates of WTP for product attributes. Results aim to benefit food producers and retailers who make decisions about investing in new packaging methods, food control and food safety.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tonsor, Glynn T. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Fox, John A. & Biere, Arlo W., 2005. "European Preferences for Beef Steak Attributes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), August.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521747387, November.
- Luisa Menapace & Gregory Colson & Carola Grebitus & Maria Facendola, 2011.
"Consumers' preferences for geographical origin labels: evidence from the Canadian olive oil market,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 193-212, June.
- Menapace, Luisa & Colson, Gregory J. & Grebitus, Carola & Facendola, Maria, 2009. "Consumer Preferences for Country-Of-Origin, Geographical Indication, and Protected Designation of Origin Labels," Staff General Research Papers Archive 13122, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Menapace, Luisa & Colson, Gregory & Grebitus, Carola & Facendola, Maria, 2008. "Consumer preferences for extra virgin olive oil with country-of-origin and geographical indication labels in Canada," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6430, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Baker, Gregory A. & Burnham, Thomas A., 2001. "Consumer Response To Genetically Modified Foods: Market Segment Analysis And Implications For Producers And Policy Makers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:51649. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.