Analysis of Consumer Preferences and Willingness-To-Pay for Organic Food Products in Germany
This study employs a choice experiment approach to investigate consumers’ preferences and WTP for organic food products. We use mixed logit models to examine preference heterogeneity. The results revealed significant heterogeneity in preferences for organic apples, milk, and beef product attributes among consumers. The willingness-to-pay (WTP) results obtained from mixed logit indicate gender-specific differences for the examined products of this study. Female respondents have a higher WTP for apple attributes, while higher WTP values for milk and beef attributes are observed for male respondents.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory L. Poe & Kelly L. Giraud & John B. Loomis, 2005. "Computational Methods for Measuring the Difference of Empirical Distributions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 353-365.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Kenneth Train, 2003. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984.
"Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981. "Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model," Working papers 292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Morten Raun M�rkbak & Tove Christensen & Dorte Gyrd-Hansen & S�ren B�ye Olsen, 2011. "Is embedding entailed in consumer valuation of food safety characteristics?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 587-607, October.
- Eckel, Catherine C. & Grossman, Philip J., 2008. "Differences in the Economic Decisions of Men and Women: Experimental Evidence," Handbook of Experimental Economics Results, Elsevier.
- Ulrich Enneking, 2004. "Willingness-to-pay for safety improvements in the German meat sector: the case of the Q&S label," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 205-223, June.
- Rachel Croson & Uri Gneezy, 2009. "Gender Differences in Preferences," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(2), pages 448-74, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521844260 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kim Darby & Marvin T. Batte & Stan Ernst & Brian Roe, 2008. "Decomposing Local: A Conjoint Analysis of Locally Produced Foods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 476-486.
- David Hensher & William Greene, 2003. "The Mixed Logit model: The state of practice," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 133-176, May.
- Sackett, Hillary M. & Shupp, Robert S. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2012. "Discrete Choice Modeling of Consumer Preferences for Sustainably Produced Steak and Apples," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123517, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Zhifeng Gao & Ted C. Schroeder, 2007. "Effects of Label Information on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Food Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 795-809.
- Peter Boxall & Wiktor Adamowicz, 2002. "Understanding Heterogeneous Preferences in Random Utility Models: A Latent Class Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 23(4), pages 421-446, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521605779 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ladenburg, Jacob & Olsen, Søren Bøye, 2008. "Gender-specific starting point bias in choice experiments: Evidence from an empirical study," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 275-285, November.
- Morkbak, Morten Raun & Christensen, Tove & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte E. & Olsen, Soren Boye, 2009. "Is Embedding Entailed in Consumer Valuation of Food Safety Characteristics?," 113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece 58099, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi13:156100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.