Assessing Investment in Precision Farming for Reducing Pesticide Use in French Viticulture
The paper develops a mathematical programming model for assessing the impact of Environmental Policy instruments on French winegrowing farm’s adoption of pesticides-saving technologies. We model choices with regards to investment in precision farming and plant protection practices, in a multi-periodic framework with sequential decision, integrating uncertainty on fungal disease pressure and imperfect information on equipment performance. We focus on recursive models maximizing a Utility function. These models are applied on a representative sample of 534 winegrowers from the French Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN). As expected, both ecotaxes and green subsidies make precision farming equipment more profitable, but the investment rate remains however low and concentrated on basic systems. One explanation is grower’s financial constraint in a context of market crisis and farm indebtedness. Shortcomings and further development of the models are discussed.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, Peter J. & Robison, Lindon J., 2001. "Agricultural finance: Credit, credit constraints, and consequences," Handbook of Agricultural Economics,in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 513-571 Elsevier.
- Villalba, D. & Ripoll, G. & Ruiz, R. & Bernués, A., 2010. "Long-term stochastic simulation of mountain beef cattle herds under diverse management strategies," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(4), pages 210-220, May.
- Kingwell, Ross S. & Pannell, David J. & Robinson, Stephen D., 1993.
"Tactical responses to seasonal conditions in whole-farm planning in Western Australia,"
Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 211-226, March.
- Kingwell, Ross S. & Pannell, David J. & Robinson, Stephen D., 1993. "Tactical responses to seasonal conditions in whole-farm planning in Western Australia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(3), March.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 1998. "Environmental and economic consequences of technology adoption: IPM in viticulture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 18(2), March.
- Jacquet, F. & Pluvinage, J., 1997. "Climatic uncertainty and farm policy: A discrete stochastic programming model for cereal-livestock farms in Glgeria," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 387-407, April.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 1998. "Environmental and economic consequences of technology adoption: IPM in viticulture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 145-155, March.
- Marra, Michele & Pannell, David J. & Abadi Ghadim, Amir, 2003. "The economics of risk, uncertainty and learning in the adoption of new agricultural technologies: where are we on the learning curve?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 215-234.
- Greiner, Romy & Patterson, Louisa & Miller, Owen, 2009. "Motivations, risk perceptions and adoption of conservation practices by farmers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 99(2-3), pages 86-104, February.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, Diciembre.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120.
- Tozer, Peter R., 2009. "Uncertainty and investment in precision agriculture - Is it worth the money?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 100(1-3), pages 80-87, April.
- Catherine Benjamin & Euan Phimister, 2002. "Does Capital Market Structure Affect Farm Investment? A Comparison using French and British Farm-Level Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1115-1129.
- Sunding, David & Zilberman, David, 2001. "The agricultural innovation process: Research and technology adoption in a changing agricultural sector," Handbook of Agricultural Economics,in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 207-261 Elsevier.
- Aude Ridier & Florence Jacquet, 2002. "Decoupling Direct Payments and the Dynamics of Decisions under Price Risk in Cattle Farms," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 549-565.
- Apland, Jeffrey & Hauer, Grant, 1993. "Discrete Stochastic Programming: Concepts, Examples And A Review Of Empirical Applications," Staff Papers 13793, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Bocquého, G. & Jacquet, F., 2010. "The adoption of switchgrass and miscanthus by farmers: Impact of liquidity constraints and risk preferences," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2598-2607, May.
- Cortignani, Raffaele & Dono, Gabriele & Doro, Luca & Ledda, Luigi & Mazzapicchio, Graziano, 2010. "An evaluation of the economic impact of Climate Change through a three-stages Discrete Stochastic Programming model," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109317, European Association of Agricultural Economists. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:114387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.