Testing Separability for Common Wheat Qualities in French Import Demand Market Using Aids and Rotterdam Demand Models
This study has used a corrected likelihood ratio, with AIDS and Rotterdam demand models, to test separability in three separable (A, B, C) wheat import demand structures on the French common wheat market. It appears from the study that the three separable Rotterdam structures are accepted by the test, while only two of them (B and C) are accepted in the case of AIDS at 5% level of significance. Meanwhile, model B seems to be more indicated in demand analysis with AIDS since it is the only one accepted at 15% level of significance. The results obtained demonstrate not only the necessity to test separability in demand structures, but also the necessity to know how the allocation models can be used for demand analysis purpose. The study has also shown a great difference in econometric results for AIDS and Rotterdam and pose once more the issue of the choice of a functional form in demand analysis.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haley, Stephen L., 1995. "Product Differentiation in Wheat Trade Modeling," Technical Bulletins 156766, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "Production and Demand Models with Direct or Indirect Implicit Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(3), pages 395-419, May.
- Paul Brenton, 1989. "The allocation approach to trade modelling: Some tests of separability between imports and domestic production and between different imported commodity groups," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 125(2), pages 230-251, June.
- Italianer, Alexander, 1985. "A small-sample correction for the likelihood ratio test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 315-317.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Bruno Larue, 1991. "Is Wheat a Homogeneous Product?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(2), pages 103-117, 07.
- David L. Edgerton, 1997. "Weak Separability and the Estimation of Elasticities in Multistage Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 62-79.
- Davis, George C. & Jensen, Kimberly L., 1994. "Two-Stage Utility Maximization And Import Demand Systems Revisited: Limitations And An Alternative," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Lord, Montague J, 1989. "Production Differentiation in International Commodity Trade," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(1), pages 35-53, February.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1993.
"Weak Separability in Applied Welfare Analysis,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(3), pages 770-775.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D., 1994.
"Autocorrelation Specification in Singular Equation Systems,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
11134, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Moro, Daniele, 1994. "Autocorrelation specification in singular equation systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 303-309, December.
- Mohanty, Samarendu & Peterson, E. Wesley F., 1999. "Estimation Of Demand For Wheat By Classes For The United States And The European Union," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(2), October.
- Giancarlo Moschini & Daniele Moro & Richard D. Green, 1994.
"Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(1), pages 61-73.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D. & Green, Richard D., 1994. "Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- William A. Barnett, 1979. "Theoretical Foundations for the Rotterdam Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 109-130.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Sellen, Daniel & Goddard, Ellen, 1997. "Weak Separability in Coffee Demand Systems," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 133-44.
- Terry, Justin J. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2000. "Derived Demand For Wheat By Class," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36457, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Savin, N Eugene, 1975. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 937-57, Sept.-Nov.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae02:24921. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.