A Monthly Cycle In Food Expenditure And Intake By Participants In The U.S. Food Stamp Program
This paper uses nationally representative data to describe a monthly cycle in food expenditure and food intake by food stamp recipients. Food expenditure peaks sharply in the fIrst three days after food stamps are received. Actual food intake drops at the end of the month, for some foods and some people, although food intake over time is always smoother than food expenditure. The food stamp cycle has implications for two areas of research: the measurement ofhunger and food insecurity in the United States, and the measurement ofthe impact ofthe U.S. Food Stamp Program.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Warren Hall, Ithaca NY 14853|
Web page: http://aem.cornell.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilde, Parke E. & Ranney, Christine K., 1996. "The Distinct Impact Of Food Stamps On Food Spending," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1989. "Estimating the Value of an In-Kind Transfer: The Case of Food Stamps," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 385-409, March.
- E. A. Frongillo Jr. & C. M. Olson & B. S Rauschenbach & A. Kendall, "undated". "Nutritional Consequences of Food Insecurity in a Rural New York State County," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1120-97, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Parke E. Wilde & Christine K. Ranney, 2000. "The Monthly Food Stamp Cycle: Shooping Frequency and Food Intake Decisions in an Endogenous Switching Regression Framework," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 200-213.
- Meghir, Costas & Robin, Jean-Marc, 1992.
"Frequency of purchase and the estimation of demand systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 53-85.
- Costas Meghir & Jean-Marc Robin, 1992. "Frequency of purchase and the estimation of demand systems," Post-Print hal-00359440, HAL.