Heat or Eat? Cold Weather Shocks and Nutrition in Poor American Families
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Bhattacharya, J. & DeLeire, T. & Haider, S. & Currie, J., 2003. "Heat or Eat? Cold-Weather Shocks and Nutrition in Poor American Families," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 93(7), pages 1149-1154.
References listed on IDEAS
- P. Wilde & C. Ranney, "undated".
"A Monthly Cycle in Food Expenditure and Intake by Participants in the U.S. Food Stamp Program,"
Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers
1163-98, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Wilde, Parke E. & Ranney, Christine K., 1997. "A Monthly Cycle In Food Expenditure And Intake By Participants In The U.S. Food Stamp Program," Working Papers 127820, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Jay Bhattacharya & Janet Currie, 2001.
"Youths at Nutrition Risk: Malnourished or Misnourished?,"
NBER Chapters,in: Risky Behavior among Youths: An Economic Analysis, pages 483-522
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jay Bhattacharya & Janet Currie, 2000. "Youths at Nutritional Risk: Malnourished or Misnourished?," NBER Working Papers 7686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- anonymous, 1999. "Banking relationships of lower-income families and the governmental trend toward electronic payment," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jul, pages 459-473.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alisha Coleman-Jensen, 2011. "Working for Peanuts: Nonstandard Work and Food Insecurity Across Household Structure," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 84-97, March.
- Howden-Chapman, Philippa & Viggers, Helen & Chapman, Ralph & O'Dea, Des & Free, Sarah & O'Sullivan, Kimberley, 2009. "Warm homes: Drivers of the demand for heating in the residential sector in New Zealand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3387-3399, September.
- O'Sullivan, Kimberley C. & Howden-Chapman, Philippa L. & Fougere, Geoffrey M. & Hales, Simon & Stanley, James, 2013. "Empowered? Examining self-disconnection in a postal survey of electricity prepayment meter consumers in New Zealand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 277-287.
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Melvin Stephens, Jr., 2006. "The Level and Composition of Consumption Over the Business Cycle: The Role of "Quasi-Fixed" Expenditures," NBER Working Papers 12388, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beatty, Timothy K.M. & Tuttle, Charlotte, 2012. "The Effect of Energy Price Shocks on Household Food Security," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124791, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- O'Sullivan, Kimberley C. & Stanley, James & Fougere, Geoffrey & Howden-Chapman, Philippa, 2016. "Heating practices and self-disconnection among electricity prepayment meter consumers in New Zealand: A follow-up survey," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 139-147.
- Corman, Hope & Curtis, Marah A. & Noonan, Kelly & Reichman, Nancy E., 2016. "Maternal depression as a risk factor for children's inadequate housing conditions," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 149(C), pages 76-83.
- Ranney, Christine K. & Gomez, Miguel I., 2010. "Food Stamps, Food Insufficiency and Health of the Elderly," Working Papers 126968, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Victoria Vernon, 2004. "Food Expenditure, Food Preparation Time and Household Economies of Scale," Labor and Demography 0412005, EconWPA.
- Robert T. Jensen & Nolan H. Miller, 2008. "The impact of food price increases on caloric intake in China," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 465-476, November.
- Timothy K. M. Beatty & Laura Blow & Thomas F. Crossley, 2014.
"Is there a ‘heat-or-eat’ trade-off in the UK?,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 177(1), pages 281-294, January.
- Tim Beatty & Laura Blow & Thomas Crossley, 2011. "Is there a "heat or eat" trade-off in the UK?," IFS Working Papers W11/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty & Laura Blow & Thomas F. Crossley, 2011. "Is There a Heat or Eat Trade-off in the UK?," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1133, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Beatty, Timothy K.M. & Blow, Laura & Crossley, Thomas, 2009. "Heat or Eat?: An empirical analysis of U.K. cold weather income support," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 51903, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Anderson, Will & White, Vicki & Finney, Andrea, 2012. "Coping with low incomes and cold homes," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 40-52.
- Liddell, Christine & Morris, Chris, 2010. "Fuel poverty and human health: A review of recent evidence," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2987-2997, June.
- Howden-Chapman, Philippa & Viggers, Helen & Chapman, Ralph & O’Sullivan, Kimberley & Telfar Barnard, Lucy & Lloyd, Bob, 2012. "Tackling cold housing and fuel poverty in New Zealand: A review of policies, research, and health impacts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 134-142.
- Matthew Ranson & Lauren Morris & Alex Kats-Rubin, 2014. "Climate Change and Space Heating Energy Demand: A Review of the Literature," NCEE Working Paper Series 201407, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Dec 2014.
- Jensen, Robert T. & Miller, Nolan, 2008. "The Impact of the World Food Price Crisis on Nutrition in China," Working Paper Series rwp08-039, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Tirado Herrero, Sergio & Ürge-Vorsatz, Diana, 2012. "Trapped in the heat: A post-communist type of fuel poverty," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 60-68.
- Dupas, Pascaline & Robinson, Jonathan, 2012. "The (hidden) costs of political instability: Evidence from Kenya's 2007 election crisis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 314-329.
- Hernández, Diana, 2016. "Understanding ‘energy insecurity’ and why it matters to health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 167(C), pages 1-10.
- O'Sullivan, Kimberley C. & Howden-Chapman, Philippa L. & Fougere, Geoff, 2011. "Making the connection: The relationship between fuel poverty, electricity disconnection, and prepayment metering," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 733-741, February.
- Melissa Dell & Benjamin F. Jones & Benjamin A. Olken, 2013. "What Do We Learn from the Weather? The New Climate-Economy Literature," NBER Working Papers 19578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yoshie Sano & Steven Garasky & Kimberly Greder & Christine Cook & Dawn Browder, 2011. "Understanding Food Insecurity Among Latino Immigrant Families in Rural America," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 111-123, March.
More about this item
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:9004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .