Unit Value Biases in Meat Demand in Indonesia
Indonesia is an emerging market for beef and cattle exports so estimates of income and price elasticities may help analysts predict future demands. In contrast to developed countries, where meat demand studies often use aggregate data, Indonesian studies rely on household surveys, with unit values (ratios of expenditures to quantities) used instead of market prices. Elasticities estimated from unit values can be subject to various quality and measurement error biases. In this paper, data from 29,000 households on Java are used to estimate a demand system for beef, chicken and other meat groups, and the extent of bias from commonly used estimation strategies is evaluated.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Helen H. & Manrique, Justo, 1998.
"Demand for Food Commodities by Income Groups in Indonesia,"
Staff General Research Papers
1016, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Helen Jensen & Justo Manrique, 1998. "Demand for food commodities by income groups in Indonesia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 491-501.
- Helen H. Jensen & Justo Manrique, 1996. "Demand for Food Commodities by Income Groups in Indonesia," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 96-wp166, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Minot, Nicholas W, 1998. "Distributional and Nutritional Impact of Devaluation in Rwanda," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 379-402, January.
- Sakong, Yong & Hayes, Dermot J., 1993. "Testing the Stability of Preferences: A Nonparametric Approach," Staff General Research Papers 558, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eales, James S. & Roheim, Cathy A., 1999. "Testing Separability Of Japanese Demand For Meat And Fish Within Differential Demand Systems," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Hahn, William F., 1994. "A Random Coefficient Meat Demand Model," Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 3.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare03:58195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.