How Does Real Exchange Rate Influence Income Inequality Between Urban And Rural Areas In China?
The channels through which the real exchange rate influences urban/rural per capita real income inequality are analyzed using yearly data for 28 Chinese provinces. Due to the higher share of tradable goods produced in urban than rural areas, the real depreciation of the Chinese currency raised the urban bias, contrary to the effect usually expected. This rise was, however, mitigated because of the impact of the exchange rate on the urban/rural consumer price ratio, real public wages, and the ratio of industrial/agricultural protection rates. It disappeared for coastal provinces due to the strong development of outward-oriented rural industrial activities.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Huagang, 1999. "State factories in transition--openness, competition, and productivity," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 429-462, April.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Ping HUA, 1996.
"Politique du change et développement des exportations manufacturées en Chine,"
- Ping Hua & Sylvie Guillaumont-Jeanneney, 1996. "Politique du change et développement des exportations manufacturées en Chine," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 47(3), pages 851-860.
- Patrick Guillaumont, 1993. "Politique d'ajustement et développement agricole," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 216(1), pages 20-29.
- Minot, Nicholas W, 1998. "Distributional and Nutritional Impact of Devaluation in Rwanda," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 379-402, January.
- D Gale Johnson, 1996. "China's Rural and Agricultural Reforms: Successes and Failures," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1996-12, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Hare, Denise & West, Loraine A., 1999. "Spatial Patterns in China's Rural Industrial Growth and Prospects for the Alleviation of Regional Income Inequality," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 475-497, September.
- Christopher Findlay & Zhang Xiaohe & Andrew Watson, 1992. "Growth of Rural Enterprises, Urban-Rural Relations in China's Foreign Trade," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1992-03, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Knight, J B, 1976. "Devaluation and Income Distribution in Less-Developed Economies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 208-27, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdi:wpaper:120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.