Supply of Insurance for Specialty Crops and its Effect on Yield and Acreage
We exploit variation in the timing of specialty crop insurance supply to different crops and counties in California to assess its effect on output as decomposed into yield and harvested acreage. Four woody-perennial crops and one field-annual crop are used to represent this effect. We find that the supply of crop insurance has a significant positive effect on output for several perennial crops and the field crop, but it only has a significant positive effect on yield for certain perennial crops. These findings suggest that even for disparate crops the supply of insurance reduces production risks for the insured crops and causes harvested acreage to expand. The positive significant effect of insurance supply on yield for several of the woody-perennial crops suggests that, regardless of the effect on acreage, it accelerates growers’ adoption of improved tree/vine varieties and rootstocks, which are likely to be risk-increasing inputs due to the their relatively high cost of investment.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfonso Miranda & Sophia Rabe-Hesketh, 2006. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching and sample selection models for binary, ordinal, and count variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 285-308, September.
- Joseph W. Glauber, 2004. "Crop Insurance Reconsidered," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1179-1195.
- Knox, Lyle & Richards, Timothy J., 1999.
"A Two-Stage Model Of The Demand For Specialty Crop Insurance,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21681, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richards, Timothy J., 2000. "A Two-Stage Model Of The Demand For Specialty Crop Insurance," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Richards, Timothy J., 1998. "A Two Stage Model of the Demand For Specialty Crop Insurance," Working Papers 28546, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
- C. Edwin Young & Monte L. Vandeveer & Randall D. Schnepf, 2001. "Production and Price Impacts of U.S. Crop Insurance Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1196-1203.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Joseph A. Herriges, 1994.
"Input Demand Under Yield and Revenue Insurance,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
94-wp127, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Miller, Stephen E. & Kahl, Kandice H. & Rathwell, P. James, 2000. "Revenue Insurance For Georgia And South Carolina Peaches," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Carriazo, Fernando & Claassen, Roger & Cooper, Joseph C. & Hellerstein, Daniel & Ueda, Kohei, 2010. "Grassland to Cropland Conversion in the Northern Plains: The Role of Markets and Policy," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61625, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ethan Ligon, 2011.
"Supply and Effects of Specialty Crop Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
16709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vincent H. Smith & Barry K. Goodwin, 1996. "Crop Insurance, Moral Hazard, and Agricultural Chemical Use," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 428-438.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Monte L. Vandeveer & John L. Deal, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Acreage Effects of Participation in the Federal Crop Insurance Program," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1058-1077.
- Walters, Cory G. & Shumway, C. Richard & Chouinard, Hayley H. & Wandschneider, Philip R., 2012. "Crop Insurance, Land Allocation, and the Environment," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(2), August.
- Erik J. O'Donoghue & Michael J. Roberts & Nigel Key, 2009. "Did the Federal Crop Insurance Reform Act Alter Farm Enterprise Diversification?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 80-104.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Mischen, Pamela, 1998. "The Demand for Specialty-Crop Insurance: Adverse Selection and Inefficiency," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 16(1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:150787. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.