Consequences of the Five-a-Day Campaign: Evidence from French Panel Data
'5-a-day' public information campaigns have been implemented in many countries to promote the consumption of at least five portions of fruits and vegetables (F&Vs) per day per person as part of a healthy diet. This study proposes an ex-post evaluation of its impact on household purchases of F&Vs for food-athome consumption, using household scanner panel data and a before-after identification framework. It uses a dynamic tobit panel data model to account for non-participation, habit formation and household unobserved heterogeneity. Over the 2002-2010 period, the portions of F&V available each day for consumption by a household member have increased from 2.4 to 3.3 (+0.9). Our estimates reveal that 43% of this increase is due to the 5-a-day campaign (+0.38 portions). The largest effect is observed for fresh fruits (+0.16 portions), processed vegetables (+0.08 portions) and natural fruit juices (+0.08 portions). As a negative nutritional consequence, there has also been a small increase in fruit drinks with added sugar (+0.05 portions).
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deja Hendrickson & Chery Smith & Nicole Eikenberry, 2006. "Fruit and vegetable access in four low-income food deserts communities in Minnesota," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 23(3), pages 371-383, October.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-475, June.
- Deaton, Angus, 1988. "Quality, Quantity, and Spatial Variation of Price," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 418-430, June.
- Stephen O'Neill & Kevin Hanrahan, 2012. "Decoupling of agricultural support payments: the impact on land market participation decisions," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 639-659, September.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2005.
"Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 39-54.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2002. "Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity," CeMMAP working papers CWP18/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ehmke, Mariah D. & Warziniack, Travis & Schroeter, Christiane & Morgan, Kari, 2008.
"Applying Experimental Economics to Obesity in the Family Household,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(02), August.
- Ehmke, Mariah D. & Warziniack, Travis & Schroeter, Christiane & Morgan, Kari, 2008. "Applying Experimental Economics to Obesity in the Family Household," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 539-549, August.
- Crawford, Ian & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 2003. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Preston, Ian & Laisney, François & Crawford, Ian A., 2002. "Estimation of Household Demand Systems with Theoretically Compatible Engel Curves and Unit Value Specifications," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-06 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ian Crawford & Francois Laisney & Ian Preston, 2002. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," IFS Working Papers W02/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bhavani Shankar & Jose Brambila‐Macias & Bruce Traill & Mario Mazzocchi & Sara Capacci, 2013. "An Evaluation Of The Uk Food Standards Agency'S Salt Campaign," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 243-250, February.
- Badi Baltagi & Seuck Song, 2006. "Unbalanced panel data: A survey," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 493-523, October.
- Olivier Allais & Patrice Bertail & Véronique Nichèle, 2010. "The Effects of a Fat Tax on French Households' Purchases: A Nutritional Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(1), pages 228-245.
- Patrice Bertail & France Caillavet, 2008. "Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Patterns: A Segmentation Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 827-842.
- Dallongeville, Jean & Dauchet, Luc & de Mouzon, Olivier & Réquillart, Vincent & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2009. "Increasing Fruits and Vegetables Consumption: A Cost-Efficiency Analysis of Public Policies," IDEI Working Papers 554, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Dallongeville, Jean & Dauchet, Luc & de Mouzon, Olivier & Réquillart, Vincent & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2009. "Increasing Fruits and Vegetables Consumption: A Cost-Efficiency Analysis of Public Policies," TSE Working Papers 09-135, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Bo MacInnis & Gordon Rausser, 2005. "Does Food Processing Contribute to Childhood Obesity Disparities?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1154-1158.
- Capacci, Sara & Mazzocchi, Mario, 2011. "Five-a-day, a price to pay: An evaluation of the UK program impact accounting for market forces," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 87-98, January.
- McKelvey, Christopher, 2011. "Price, unit value, and quality demanded," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 157-169, July.
- Richard Tiffin & W. Bruce Traill & Simon Mortimer, 2006. "Food Choice in an Interdisciplinary Context," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 213-220, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:150426. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.