Estimating a Demand System with Seasonally Differenced Data
Researchers estimating demand systems have often used annual data even though monthly or quarterly data are available. Monthly data may be avoided because with monthly data it becomes more difficult to specify seasonality, autocorrelation is more likely to be significant, and there is a greater chance of finding significant dynamics in demand. This paper shows how to obtain consistent and asymptotically efficient estimates of a demand system using seasonal differenced data. It also shows that several alternative estimators are either inefficient or implausible for demand systems.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clements, Michael P. & Hendry, David F., 1997. "An empirical study of seasonal unit roots in forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-355, September.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R. F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Yoo, B. S., 1990.
"Seasonal integration and cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 215-238.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration," Papers 6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hyllerberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988. "Seasonal Integration And Cointegration," Papers 0-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Beach, Charles M & MacKinnon, James G, 1979.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(2), pages 459-64, June.
- Charles M. Beach & James G. MacKinnon, 1977. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Working Papers 276, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Henry L. Bryant & George C. Davis, 2008. "Revisiting Aggregate U.S. Meat Demand with a Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates Approach: Do We Need a More General Theory?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(1), pages 103-116.
- James L. Seale & Mary A. Marchant & Alberto Basso, 2003.
"Imports versus Domestic Production: A Demand System Analysis of the U.S. Red Wine Market,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 187-202.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Merchant, Mary, 2002. "Imports versus Domestic Production: A Demand System Analysis of the U.S. Red Wine Market," Technical Papers 15637, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Brown, Mark G & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Seale, James L, Jr, 1995. "A Family of Inverse Demand Systems and Choice of Functional Form," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 519-30.
- Andrew Muhammad, 2007. "The impact of increasing non-agricultural market access on EU demand for imported fish: implications for Lake Victoria chilled fillet exports," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(4), pages 461-477, December.
- James Eales & Catherine Durham & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "Generalized Models of Japanese Demand for Fish," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1153-1163.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie) & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1993. "Generic Advertising Wearout," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(03), December.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994. "The inverse almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
- Carlos Arnade & Daniel Pick & Mark Gehlhar, 2004. "Locating seasonal cycles in demand models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(9), pages 533-535.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.