Structural Change in the Meat and Poultry Industry and the Pathogen Reduction Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Rule
This paper uses plant-level micro-data covering the 1987-2002 and a translog cost function to estimate long-run costs in the meat and poultry industry in order to evaluate the impact of the Pathogen Reduction Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Rule on cattle, hog and chicken slaughter and prepared pork products and sausage-making industries. Results suggest that costs rose in the cattle and hog slaughter and prepared pork products industries and the cost shares of meat declined and of labor and capital rose. There is little evidence that events over the period favored large or small plants.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Eldon Ball & Robert G. Chambers, 1982. "An Economic Analysis of Technology in the Meat Products Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 64(4), pages 699-709.
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 1999. "Scale Effects and Mark-ups in the US Food and Fibre Industries: Capital Investment and Import Penetration Impacts," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 64-82.
- Ollinger, Michael & Moore, Danna L. & Chandran, Ram, 2004. "Meat And Poultry Plants' Food Safety Investments: Survey Findings," Technical Bulletins 33559, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Ollinger, Michael & Mueller, Valerie, 2003. "Managing For Safer Food: The Economics Of Sanitation And Process Controls In Meat And Poultry Plants," Agricultural Economics Reports 33975, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Bryan E. Melton & Wallace E. Huffman, 1995.
"Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(3), pages 471-485.
- Melton, Brian & Huffman, Wallace, 1995. "Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology," Staff General Research Papers 5043, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:ags:joaaec:v:34:y:2002:i:1:p:165-174 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hooker, Neal H. & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Siebert, John W., 2002. "The Impact Of Haccp On Costs And Product Exit," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:36747. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.