The Direct and Indirect Costs of Food-Safety Regulation
The compliance costs of the Pathogen Reduction Hazard Analysis Critical Control Program (PR/HACCP) rule have been controversial. Previous reports have used limited data to evaluate its overall and component costs. This paper addresses those deficiencies by examining compliance costs with data from a national survey of meat and poultry plants. Results indicate that (a) regulation favors large, more specialized plants over small, diversified ones, (b) private actions incur considerable costs, and (c), except for chicken slaughter, Federally mandated processing tasks are 160-500% more costly than allowing plants to meet standards using whatever food-safety technology they choose. Copyright 2009 Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Jaffee, Steve & Masakure, Oliver, 2005. "Strategic use of private standards to enhance international competitiveness: Vegetable exports from Kenya and elsewhere," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 316-333, June.
- Hooker, Neal H. & Nayga, Rodolfo M. & Siebert, John W., 2002.
"The Impact of HACCP on Costs and Product Exit,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 165-174, April.
- Fernando Balsevich & Julio A. Berdegué & Luis Flores & Denise Mainville & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "Supermarkets and Produce Quality and Safety Standards in Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1147-1154.
- Ollinger, Michael & Moore, Danna L. & Chandran, Ram, 2004.
"Meat And Poultry Plants' Food Safety Investments: Survey Findings,"
33559, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Ollinger, Michael & Moore, Danna & Chandran, Ram, 2004. "Meat and Poultry Plants' Food Safety Investments : Survey Findings," Technical Bulletins 184316, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Spencer Henson & James Northen, 1998. "Economic determinants of food safety controls in supply of retailer own-branded products in United Kingdom," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 113-126.
- Bartel, Ann P & Thomas, Lacy Glenn, 1987. "Predation through Regulation: The Wage and Profit Effects of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 239-64, October.
- Pashigian, B Peter, 1984. "The Effect of Environmental Regulation on Optimal Plant Size and Factor Shares," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(1), pages 1-28, April.
- Starbird, S. Andrew, 2005. "Supply Chain Contracts and Food Safety," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(2).
- Jeffrey J. Reimer, 2006. "Vertical Integration in the Pork Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 234-248.
- Ollinger, Michael, 2004. "The Impact Of Market Mechanisms And Haccp Regulation On Food Safety Quality," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20150, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ollinger, Michael & Mueller, Valerie, 2003. "Managing For Safer Food: The Economics Of Sanitation And Process Controls In Meat And Poultry Plants," Agricultural Economics Reports 33975, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Codron, Jean-Marie & Giraud-Heraud, Eric & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2005. "Minimum quality standards, premium private labels, and European meat and fresh produce retailing," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 270-283, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:revage:v:31:y:2009:i:2:p:247-265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.