Trade Impact On Food Security: Analysis On Farm Households In Rural China
We simulate several alternative scenarios to access the impact of border liberalization on household food security in rural China. We find that most Chinese farmers derive most their income from sources other than grain marketing and buy a significant amount of staple grain. Opening the border to more import of grain resulting in lower the domestic price is likely to improve the general level of food security for rural farm households in China.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dwayne Benjamin & Loren Brandt & John Giles, 2003.
"The Evolution of Income Inequality in Rural China,"
benjamin-04-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Jikun Huang & Ninghui Li & Scott Rozelle, 2003. "Trade Reform, Household Effects, and Poverty in Rural China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1292-1298.
- Anderson, Kym & Huang, Jikun & Ianchovichina, Elena, 2004. "Will China's WTO Accession Worsen Rural Poverty?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wyn P. Grant & John T.S. Keeler (ed.), 2000. "Agricultural Policy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 1655.
- Harry X Wu & Christopher Findlay, 1997. "China's Grain Demand and Supply: Trade Implications," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1997-04, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 1998.
"Market development and food demand in rural China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-45.
- Fang, Cheng & Beghin, John C., 2003. "Protection and Comparative Advantage of Chinese Agriculture: Implications for Regional and National Specialization," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10102, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Zhao, Xueyan & Griffiths, William E. & Griffith, Garry R. & Mullen, John D., 2000. "Probability distributions for economic surplus changes: the case of technical change in the Australian wool industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(1), March.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2002. "Food security and food assistance programs," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 40, pages 2103-2190 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:20322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.