Survival And Ownership Of Internet Marketplaces For Agriculture
This research develops a theory of how market structure and belief formation drive survival and ownership of marketplaces. This paper explains the process for deriving theoretical predictions about these phenomena and suggests how comparison of theoretical predictions with actual outcomes in the context of agricultural Internet marketplaces provides an empirical test. By providing a sound understanding of the driving forces behind Internet marketplace ownership, a factual basis is introduced relative to concerns about concentration of the ownership of Internet marketplaces in the hands of buyers or sellers in agricultural markets.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herings, P.J.J. & van den Elzen, A.H., 1998.
"Computation of the Nash Equilibrium Selected by the Tracing Procedure in N-Person Games,"
1998-04, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & van den Elzen, Antoon, 2002. "Computation of the Nash Equilibrium Selected by the Tracing Procedure in N-Person Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 89-117, January.
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Peeters R., 1999. "A Differentiable Homotopy to Compute Nash Equilibria of n-Person Games," Research Memorandum 038, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Marco Pagano, 1989.
"Trading Volume and Asset Liquidity,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 255-274.
- Henderson, Dennis R., 1982. "Electronic Markets for Agricultural Commodities: Potentials and Pitfalls," Working Papers 202987, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Joseph Farrell & Garth Saloner, 1985.
"Installed Base and Compatibility With Implications for Product Preannouncements,"
385, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Joseph Farrell & Garth Saloner, 1986. "Installed Base and Compatibility, With Implications for Product Preannouncements," Working papers 411, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics,
Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- Carmine Di Noia, 2001. "Competition and Integration among Stock Exchanges in Europe: Network Effects, Implicit Mergers and Remote Access," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(1), pages 39-72.
- Ellison, Glenn & Mobius, Markus & Fudenberg, Drew, 2004.
3043414, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ellison, Glenn & Fudenberg, Drew & Mobius, Markus, 2010. "Competing Auctions," Staff General Research Papers Archive 32106, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg & Markus Mobius, 2010. "Competing Auctions," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000092, David K. Levine.
- Glenn Allison & Drew Fudenberg, 2002. "Competing Auctions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1960, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- McLennan, A., 1999.
"The Expected Number of Nash Equilibria of a Normal Form Game,"
306, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Andrew McLennan, 2005. "The Expected Number of Nash Equilibria of a Normal Form Game," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 141-174, 01.
- Allison, G. & Fudenberg, D., 1992.
"Rules of Thumb for Social Learning,"
92-12, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- G. Ellison & D. Fudenberg, 2010. "Rules of Thumb for Social Learning," Levine's Working Paper Archive 435, David K. Levine.
- Ellison, Glenn & Fudenberg, Drew, 1992. "Rules of Thumb for Social Learning," IDEI Working Papers 17, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ellison, Glenn & Fudenberg, Drew, 1993. "Rules of Thumb for Social Learning," Scholarly Articles 3196332, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1996.
"The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Co-operatives Versus Outside Ownership,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
/1996/292, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1996. "The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Cooperatives versus Outside Ownership," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 53-69, Winter.
- Domowitz, Ian, 1995. "Electronic derivatives exchanges: Implicit mergers, network externalities, and standardization," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 163-175.
- Lippman, Steven A & McCall, John J, 1986. "An Operational Measure of Liquidity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 43-55, March.
- John Conlisk, 1996. "Why Bounded Rationality?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 669-700, June.
- Nicholas Economides, . "Network Economics with Application to Finance," Financial Networks _004, Economics of Networks.
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1988. "A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582384, March.
- Wheatley, W. Parker & Buhr, Brian L. & Dipietre, Dennis, 2001. "E-Commerce In Agriculture: Development, Strategy, And Market Implications," Staff Papers 13938, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.