Estimating the Value Obtained from Using a Software Service Platform
Service markets allow users to discover, purchase, and utilize services offered on a specific platform. As service platforms grow in number of users and variety of offerings, it raises the question of whether this phenomenon continues to benefit users. Based on a literature review, the paper identifies usability, service variety, and the number of personal connections accessible over the service platform as major determinants that contribute to the value to users. Based on survey data on the behavior of mobile service users, the relationship between user value and the determinants is analyzed and estimated. The results show positive correlations between all three determinants and the value. Using regressions, we estimate how much these determinates contribute to the user value. Mobile service users are satisfied with the usability of services of their chosen platforms, although the impact on the user value is the lowest. Users benefit the most from an increase in the number of their personal connections and the number of services they use.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Economics of Grids, Clouds, Systems, and Services (GECON 2013).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 599 Gwanak-Ro, Gwanak-Gu, Seoul 151-744|
Web page: http://temep.snu.ac.kr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Network Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 822-841, August.
- Neil Gandal, 1994. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Spreadsheets and an Empirical Test for Network Externalities," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(1), pages 160-170, Spring.
- Jeffrey Rohlfs, 1974. "A Theory of Interdependent Demand for a Communications Service," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(1), pages 16-37, Spring.
- Stephen E. Margolis & S.J. Liebowitz, "undated".
"Path Dependence, Lock-in and History,"
Working Paper Series
10, North Carolina State University, Department of Economics.
- Juseuk Kim & Lynn Ilon & Jorn Altmann, 2013. "Adapting Smartphones as Learning Technology in a Korean University," TEMEP Discussion Papers 2013101, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Feb 2013.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1989. "Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 116-131, March.
- Joseph Farrell & Garth Saloner, 1985.
"Standardization, Compatibility, and Innovation,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(1), pages 70-83, Spring.
- Michael L. Katz & Carl Shapiro, 1994. "Systems Competition and Network Effects," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 93-115, Spring.
- Selam Abrham Gebregiorgis & Jorn Altmann, 2012. "IT Service Platforms: Their Value Creation Model and the Impact of their Level of Openness on their Adoption," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201295, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jun 2012.
- Stanley M. Besen & Joseph Farrell, 1994. "Choosing How to Compete: Strategies and Tactics in Standardization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 117-131, Spring.
- Netsanet Haile & Jorn Altmann, 2012. "Value Creation in IT Service Platforms through Two-Sided Network Effects," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201297, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2012.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- Anssi Smedlund, 2012. "Value Cocreation in Service Platform Business Models," Service Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 79-88, March.
- Adam M. Brandenburger & Harborne W. Stuart, 1996. "Value-based Business Strategy," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 5-24, 03.
- Church, Jeffrey & Gandal, Neil, 1992. "Network Effects, Software Provision, and Standardization," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 85-103, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snv:dp2009:2013105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.