A Dynamic And Stochastic Perspective On The Role Of Time In Range Management
This chapter uses a new ecological-economic approach to analyze the role of time in range management in a dynamic and stochastic setting. We first construct a theoretical model of a parcel of rangeland in which time restrictions are used to manage the land. We then show how the dynamic and the stochastic properties of this rangeland can be used to construct two managerial objectives that are ecologically and economically meaningful. Finally, using these two objectives, we discuss an approach to range management in which the manager has two interrelated goals. This manager maximizes the profits from range operations and (s)he also takes steps to move the rangeland away from the least desirable state of existence.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Perrings, 1998. "Resilience in the Dynamics of Economy-Environment Systems," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 503-520, April.
- Coomes, Oliver T. & Grimard, Franque & Burt, Graeme J., 2000. "Tropical forests and shifting cultivation: secondary forest fallow dynamics among traditional farmers of the Peruvian Amazon," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 109-124, January.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Rausser, Gordon C., 1999. "Federal Grazing Reform And Avoidable Risk," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M, 1987. "Suboptimal Controls in Common Resource Management: The Case of the Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 179-94, February.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1998. "The concept of resilience: retrospect and prospect," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 221-262, May.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Beladi, Hamid, 2004. "Time restrictions in natural resource management: A dynamic and stochastic analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(3), pages 775-783, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.