An interdisciplinary research agenda for the study of ecological-economic systems in the American West
Increased public awareness of resource management issues and new attitudes toward resource conservation have led to great interest in the subject of the apposite use and management of natural and environmental resources in the American west. This paper analyzes this subject from an interdisciplinary ecological-economic perspective. The paper first identifies and then discusses four salient issues concerning the study of the west’s ecological-economic systems that remain inadequately understood. Next, the paper proposes a research agenda that will enable us to shed light on some key questions concerning the functioning, health, and management of the west’s ecological-economic systems.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Hartwick, 1976.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 1996. "The economics of the environment," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(04), pages 387-428, October.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Beladi, Hamid, 2004. "Time restrictions in natural resource management: A dynamic and stochastic analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(3), pages 775-783, September.
- Hartwick, John M, 1978. "Substitution among Exhaustible Resources and Intergenerational Equity," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 347-54, June.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1999. "Aspects of the optimal management of cyclical ecological-economic systems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 285-292, August.
- Amitrajeet Batabyal & Basudeb Biswas & E. Godfrey, 2001.
"On the Choice Between the Stocking Rate and Time in Range Management,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(3), pages 211-223, November.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Biswas, Basudeb & Godfrey, E. Bruce, 2001. "On The Choice Between The Stocking Rate And Time In Range Management," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20744, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dixit, Avinash & Hammond, Peter & Hoel, Michael, 1980. "On Hartwick's Rule for Regular Maximin Paths of Capital Accumulation and Resource Depletion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 551-56, April.
- Charles Perrings, 1998. "Resilience in the Dynamics of Economy-Environment Systems," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 503-520, April.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Biswas, Basudeb & Godfrey, E. Bruce, 2003. "A Dynamic And Stochastic Perspective On The Role Of Time In Range Management," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22149, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Amit Batabyal, . "Contemporary research in ecological economics: five outstanding issues," Working Papers 2000-01, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usu:wpaper:2000-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.