Retail Oligopoly Power And Fluid Milk Prices In Boston
This paper assesses the independent and joint impacts of oligopoly power of market intermediaries and the Northeast Dairy Compact (NEDC) on fluid milk prices in Boston. Empirical results reveal that price increases due to oligopoly power far outweighed those caused by the NEDC by more than 10 times. In fact, markups are estimated at approximately 33% of the retail milk price, translating into approximately $1/gallon overcharge at 2002 milk prices averaging around $3/gallon.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Altobello, Marilyn A. & Shah, Farhed A., 1994. "Amenity Benefits And Public Policy: An Application To The Connecticut Dairy Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "The nonlinear two-stage least-squares estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 105-110, July.
- repec:agl:nearer:v:30:y:2001:i:1:p:83-92 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lass, Daniel A. & Adanu, Mawunyo & Allen, P. Geoffrey, 2001. "Impacts Of The Northeast Dairy Compact On New England Retail Prices," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.