How does vertical industry structure affect investment in infrastructure quality?
If the access network is an economic bottleneck, then the regulator may consider vertical separation of the telecommunications incumbent. There is the concern that separation dilutes quality-enhancing network investment, and social welfare. We show that, despite some loss of operational coordination and potential hold-up problems, vertical separation may raise investment and welfare compared with integration. While structural more than functional separation raises investment, it is functional more than structural separation that raises welfare (due to investment cost). The results obtained shed light on the effects of different forms of separation on the incentive to build-out Next Generation Access networks (NGAs).
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +390677274140|
Fax: +39 0677274129
Web page: http://www.dis.uniroma1.itEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Buehler & Dennis Gärtner & Daniel Halbheer, 2006.
"Deregulating Network Industries: Dealing with Price-quality Tradeoffs,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 99-115, 07.
- Stefan Buehler & Dennis Gaertner & Daniel Halbheer, 2004. "Deregulating Network Industries: Dealing with Price-Quality Tradeoffs," SOI - Working Papers 0402, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Oct 2005.
- Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler & Men-Andri Benz, 2002.
"Infrastructure Quality in Deregulated Industries: Is there an Underinvestment Problem?,"
SOI - Working Papers
0209, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Buehler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin & Benz, Men-Andri, 2004. "Infrastructure quality in deregulated industries: is there an underinvestment problem?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-267, February.
- Benz, Men-Andri & Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Infrastructure Quality in Deregulated Industries: Is there an Underinvestment Problem?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3836, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Mandy & David E. M. Sappington, 2004.
"Incentives for Sabotage in Vertically Related Industries,"
0404, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 16 Dec 2004.
- David Mandy & David Sappington, 2007. "Incentives for sabotage in vertically related industries," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 235-260, June.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Crémer, Jacques & De Donder, Philippe, 2006.
"Legal vs Ownership Unbundling in Network Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Crémer, Jacques & De Donder, Philippe, 2006. "Legal vs Ownership Unbundling in Network Industries," IDEI Working Papers 405, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Chen, Yongmin & Sappington, David E.M., 2009. "Designing input prices to motivate process innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 390-402, May.
- Felix Höffler & Sebastian Kranz, 2007. "Legal Unbundling can be a Golden Mean between Vertical Integration and Separation," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse15_2007, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Mancuso, Paolo & Reverberi, Pierfrancesco, 2003. "Operating costs and market organization in railway services. The case of Italy, 1980-1995," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 43-61, January.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2001. "The theory of access pricing and interconnection," MPRA Paper 15608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aeg:wpaper:2010-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonietta Angelica Zucconi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.