Designing input prices to motivate process innovation
We examine the optimal design of regulated input prices, accounting explicitly for their impact on incentives for process innovation. Optimal input prices are shown to vary both with the prevailing vertical industry structure and with the nature of downstream competition. The optimal input pricing rule tends to provide stronger incentives for innovation under vertical integration than under vertical separation in the presence of downstream Cournot competition. The stronger incentives tend to be implemented under vertical separation in the presence of downstream Bertrand competition.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard J. Gilbert & Michael H. Riordan, 2007. "PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT AND TECHNOLOGICAL TYING IN A WINNER-TAKE-ALL MARKET -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 113-139, 03.
- Joseph J. Spengler, 1950. "Vertical Integration and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 347.
- D. Lee Heavner, 2004. "Vertical Enclosure: Vertical Integration and the Reluctance to Purchase from a Competitor," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 179-199, 06.
- Tommaso M. Valletti & Carlo Cambini, 2005.
"Investments and Network Competition,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(2), pages 446-468, Summer.
- Jay Pil Choi & Sang-Seung Yi, 2000.
"Vertical Foreclosure with the Choice of Input Specifications,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 717-743, Winter.
- Choi, J.P. & Yi, S.S., 1997. "Vertical Foreclosure with the Choice of Input Specifications," Discussion Paper 1997-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Buehler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin & Benz, Men-Andri, 2004.
"Infrastructure quality in deregulated industries: is there an underinvestment problem?,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-267, February.
- Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler & Men-Andri Benz, 2002. "Infrastructure Quality in Deregulated Industries: Is there an Underinvestment Problem?," SOI - Working Papers 0209, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Benz, Men-Andri & Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Infrastructure Quality in Deregulated Industries: Is there an Underinvestment Problem?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3836, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brocas, Isabelle, 2003. "Vertical integration and incentives to innovate," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 457-488, April.
- Yongmin Chen, 2000.
"On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0383, Econometric Society.
- Patrick Greenlee, 2005. "Endogenous Formation Of Competitive Research Sharing Joint Ventures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 355-391, 09.
- Sappington, David E.M., 2006. "On the design of input prices: Can TELRIC prices ever be optimal?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 197-215, June.
- Hart, O. & Tirole, J., 1990. "Vertical Integration And Market Foreclosure," Working papers 548, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler, 2004. "Intimidating Competitors ï¿½ Endogenous Vertical Integration and Downstream Investment in Successive Oligopoly," SOI - Working Papers 0409, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2005.
- David Sappington, 2006. "On the Merits of Vertical Divestiture," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 171-191, November.
- Armstrong, Mark & Sappington, David E.M., 2007. "Recent Developments in the Theory of Regulation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:27:y:2009:i:3:p:390-402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.