Outsourcing and Downstream R&D under Economies of Scale
While the significance of economies of scale in outsourcing has been well-documented, the consequences of outsourcing on firms' R&D efforts, when outsourcing is driven by scale economies, remains unexplored. We investigate a simple model where downstream competitors outsource to a common upstream supplier out of their incentive to better exploit scale economies. We find that the efficiency gain of outsourcing in virtue of economies of scale helps to internalize R&D spillovers, which tends to enhance outsourcing firms' R&D incentives. On the other hand, outsourcing also mitigates downstream competition, which imposes an ambiguous impact on outsourcing firms' R&D incentives. The aggregate effect is that outsourcing enhances R&D investments only when R&D spillovers are sufficiently large, or when upstream economies of scale are sufficiently small.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/bejte|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karsten Bjerring Olsen, 2006. "Productivity Impacts of Offshoring and Outsourcing: A Review," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/1, OECD Publishing.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-1137, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, "undated". "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sugata Marjit & Arijit Mukherjee, 2008. "International Outsourcing and R&D: Long-Run Implications for Consumers," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 1010-1022, November.
- Alexei Alexandrov, 2013. "Effects of Joint Outsourcing on Consumer Welfare," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 187-202, July.
- Buehler, Stefan & Haucap, Justus, 2006. "Strategic outsourcing revisited," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 325-338, November.
- Stefan Buehler & Justus Haucap, 2003. "Strategic Outsourcing Revisited," SOI - Working Papers 0305, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Haucap, Justus & Buehler, Stefan, 2003. "Strategic Outsourcing Revisited," Working Paper 15/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Hagedoorn, John & Schakenraad, Jos, 1992. "Leading companies and networks of strategic alliances in information technologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Chen, Yutian & Dubey, Pradeep & Sen, Debapriya, 2011. "Outsourcing induced by strategic competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 484-492, July.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1589, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chen, Yutian & Dubey, Pradeep & Sen, Debapriya, 2009. "Outsourcing induced by strategic competition," MPRA Paper 14899, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000674, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kamien, Morton I & Muller, Eitan & Zang, Israel, 1992. "Research Joint Ventures and R&D Cartels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1293-1306, December.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley & Eric Strobl, 2008. "Productivity effects of international outsourcing: evidence from plant-level data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 670-688, May.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife & Strobl, Eric, 2007. "Productivity Effects of International Outsourcing: Evidence from Plant Level Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6361, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Bondt, Raymond & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1991. "Strategic investment with spillovers," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 345-366, October.
- Yannis Caloghirou & Stavros Ioannides & Nicholas S. Vonortas, 2003. "Research Joint Ventures," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 541-570, 09.
- Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2003. "Strategic outsourcing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 203-224, February.
- Yongmin Chen & David E. M. Sappington, 2010. "INNOVATION IN VERTICALLY RELATED MARKETS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 373-401, 06.
- Milliou, Chrysovalantou, 2004. "Vertical integration and R&D information flow: is there a need for 'firewalls'?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 25-43, January.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 2001. "Innovation and wage effects of international outsourcing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 67-86, January.
- W. Salant, Stephen & Shaffer, Greg, 1998. "Optimal asymmetric strategies in research joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 195-208, March.
- Salant, S.W. & Shaffer, G., 1997. "Optimal Asymmetric Strategies in Research Joint Ventures," Papers 97-06, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Greg Shaffer & Stephen W. Salant, 1999. "Unequal Treatment of Identical Agents in Cournot Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 585-604, June.
- Buehler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2008. "Intimidating competitors -- Endogenous vertical integration and downstream investment in successive oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 247-265, January.
- Yutian Chen, 2011. "Strategic sourcing for entry deterrence and tacit collusion," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 137-156, March.
- Brocas, Isabelle, 2003. "Vertical integration and incentives to innovate," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 457-488, April.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009. "Does Service Offshoring Lead to Job Losses? Evidence from the United States," NBER Chapters,in: International Trade in Services and Intangibles in the Era of Globalization, pages 227-243 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefanadis, Christodoulos, 1997. "Downstream Vertical Foreclosure and Upstream Innovation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 445-456, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bejtec:v:12:y:2012:i:1:n:29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.