Outsourcing induced by strategic competition
We show that intermediate goods can be sourced to firms on the "outside" (that do not compete in the final product market), even when there are no economies of scale or cost advantages for these firms. What drives the phenomenon is that "inside" firms, by accepting such orders, incur the disadvantage of becoming Stackelberg followers in the ensuing competition to sell the final product. Thus they have incentive to quote high provider prices to ward off future competitors, driving the latter to source outside.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mailath George J., 1993. "Endogenous Sequencing of Firm Decisions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 169-182, February.
- Pio Baake & Jörg Oechssler & Christoph Schenk, 1999. "Explaining cross-supplies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 37-60, February.
- Chen, Yutian & Dubey, Pradeep & Sen, Debapriya, 2009.
"Outsourcing induced by strategic competition,"
14899, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1589, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000674, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Vidal, Carlos J. & Goetschalckx, Marc, 1997. "Strategic production-distribution models: A critical review with emphasis on global supply chain models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-18, April.
- Chen, Yongmin & Ishikawa, Jota & Yu, Zhihao, 2004.
"Trade liberalization and strategic outsourcing,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 419-436, July.
- Chen, Yongmin & Ishikawa, Jota & Yu, Zhihao, 2001. "Trade Liberalization and Strategic Outsourcing," Discussion Papers 2001-04, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Yongmin Chen & Jota Ishikawa & Zhihao Yu, 2002. "Trade Liberalization and Strategic Outsourcing," Carleton Economic Papers 02-12, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2004.
- Hart, O. & Tirole, J., 1990. "Vertical Integration And Market Foreclosure," Working papers 548, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988.
"Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria,"
88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990. "Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2007.
"A Primer on Foreclosure,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
- Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
10082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pol Antras & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2005, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Antras, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," Scholarly Articles 3196327, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Antràs, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," CEPR Discussion Papers 4170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefan Buehler & Justus Haucap, 2003.
"Strategic Outsourcing Revisited,"
SOI - Working Papers
0305, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration versus Outsourcing in Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4784029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yutian Chen, 2011. "Strategic sourcing for entry deterrence and tacit collusion," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 137-156, March.
- Pierce, Andrea & Sen, Debapriya, 2009.
"Outsourcing versus technology transfer: Hotelling meets Stackelberg,"
15673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Pierce & Debapriya Sen, 2014. "Outsourcing versus technology transfer: Hotelling meets Stackelberg," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 263-287, April.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Arya, Anil & Mittendorf, Brian & Sappington, David E.M., 2008. "Outsourcing, vertical integration, and price vs. quantity competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-16, January.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1996.
"Endogenous Stackelberg Leadership,"
1996-115, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1999. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Other publications TiSEM 83a05fd8-4285-48f3-84ef-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eric van Damme & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Economics Working Papers 190, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2003. "Strategic outsourcing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 203-224, February.
- Ordover, Janusz A & Saloner, Garth & Salop, Steven C, 1990. "Equilibrium Vertical Foreclosure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 127-42, March.
- D. Lee Heavner, 2004. "Vertical Enclosure: Vertical Integration and the Reluctance to Purchase from a Competitor," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 179-199, 06.
- Pal, Debashis, 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg Equilibria with Identical Firms," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 81-94, January.
- Robson, Arthur J, 1990. "Duopoly with Endogenous Strategic Timing: Stackelberg Regained," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 263-74, May.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Anil Arya & Brian Mittendorf & David E. M. Sappington, 2008. "The Make-or-Buy Decision in the Presence of a Rival: Strategic Outsourcing to a Common Supplier," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(10), pages 1747-1758, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:29:y:2011:i:4:p:484-492. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.