Outsourcing induced by strategic competition
We show that intermediate goods can be sourced to firms on the "outside" (that do not compete in the final product market), even when there are no economies of scale or cost advantages for these firms. What drives the phenomenon is that "inside" firms, by accepting such orders, incur the disadvantage of becoming Stackelberg followers in the ensuing competition to sell the final product. Thus they have incentive to quote high provider prices to ward off future competitors, driving the latter to source outside.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arya, Anil & Mittendorf, Brian & Sappington, David E.M., 2008. "Outsourcing, vertical integration, and price vs. quantity competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1980.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(357), pages 95-106, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979. "The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Vidal, Carlos J. & Goetschalckx, Marc, 1997. "Strategic production-distribution models: A critical review with emphasis on global supply chain models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-18, April.
- Ordover, Janusz A & Saloner, Garth & Salop, Steven C, 1990. "Equilibrium Vertical Foreclosure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 127-42, March.
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2003.
"A Primer on Foreclosure,"
IDEI Working Papers
203, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Nov 2005.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1999.
"Endogenous Stackelberg leadership,"
Other publications TiSEM
83a05fd8-4285-48f3-84ef-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eric van Damme & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Economics Working Papers 190, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg Leadership," Discussion Paper 1996-115, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Chen, Yutian & Dubey, Pradeep & Sen, Debapriya, 2009.
"Outsourcing induced by strategic competition,"
14899, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000674, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Yutian Chen & Pradeep Dubey & Debapriya Sen, 2006. "Outsourcing Induced by Strategic Competition," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1589, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Haucap, Justus & Buehler, Stefan, 2003.
"Strategic Outsourcing Revisited,"
15/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Antràs, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004.
CEPR Discussion Papers
4170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," NBER Working Papers 10082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pol Antras & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2005, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Antras, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," Scholarly Articles 3196327, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pio Baake & Jörg Oechssler & Christoph Schenk, 1999. "Explaining cross-supplies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 37-60, February.
- Chen, Yongmin & Ishikawa, Jota & Yu, Zhihao, 2001.
"Trade Liberalization and Strategic Outsourcing,"
2001-04, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Mailath George J., 1993. "Endogenous Sequencing of Firm Decisions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 169-182, February.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988.
"Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria,"
88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990. "Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration versus Outsourcing in Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120.
- Anil Arya & Brian Mittendorf & David E. M. Sappington, 2008. "The Make-or-Buy Decision in the Presence of a Rival: Strategic Outsourcing to a Common Supplier," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(10), pages 1747-1758, October.
- Hart, O. & Tirole, J., 1990. "Vertical Integration And Market Foreclosure," Working papers 548, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Pierce, Andrea & Sen, Debapriya, 2009.
"Outsourcing versus technology transfer: Hotelling meets Stackelberg,"
15673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Pierce & Debapriya Sen, 2014. "Outsourcing versus technology transfer: Hotelling meets Stackelberg," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 263-287, April.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Robson, Arthur J, 1990. "Duopoly with Endogenous Strategic Timing: Stackelberg Regained," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 263-74, May.
- D. Lee Heavner, 2004. "Vertical Enclosure: Vertical Integration and the Reluctance to Purchase from a Competitor," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 179-199, 06.
- Shy, Oz & Stenbacka, Rune, 2003. "Strategic outsourcing," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 203-224, February.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4784029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pal, Debashis, 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg Equilibria with Identical Firms," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 81-94, January.
- Yutian Chen, 2011. "Strategic sourcing for entry deterrence and tacit collusion," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 102(2), pages 137-156, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:29:y:2011:i:4:p:484-492. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.