Incentives for Sabotage in Vertically Related Industries
We show that the incentives a vertically integrated supplier may have to disadvantage or "sabotage" the activities of downstream rivals vary with both the type of sabotage and the nature of downstream competition. Cost-increasing sabotage is typically profitable under both Cournot and Bertrand competition. In contrast, demand-reducing sabotage is often profitable under Cournot competition, but unprofitable under Bertrand competition. Incentives for sabotage can vary non-monotonically with the degree of product differentiation.
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:||16 Dec 2004|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of Regulatory Economics (2006)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (573) 882-0063
Fax: (573) 882-2697
Web page: http://economics.missouri.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- Weisman, Dennis L & Kang, Jaesung, 2001. "Incentives for Discrimination when Upstream Monopolists Participate in Downstream Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 125-39, September.
- repec:bla:restud:v:62:y:1995:i:1:p:1-17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foros, Oystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2003.
"Access Pricing, Quality Degradation, and Foreclosure in the Internet,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt62p0k04c, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Foros, Oystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Sorgard, Lars, 2002. "Access Pricing, Quality Degradation, and Foreclosure in the Internet," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 59-83, July.
- Reiffen, David, 1998. "A Regulated Firm's Incentive to Discriminate: A Reevaluation and Extension of Weisman's Result," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 79-86, July.
- Sibley, David S. & Weisman, Dennis L., 1998. "Raising rivals' costs: The entry of an upstream monopolist into downstream markets," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 451-470, December.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, June.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Alvaro Bustos & Alexander Galetovic, 2003.
"Vertical Integration and Sabotage in Regulated Industries,"
Documentos de Trabajo
164, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Bustos Alvaro E & Galetovic Alexander, 2009. "Vertical Integration and Sabotage with a Regulated Bottleneck Monopoly," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-52, September.
- Beard, T Randolph & Kaserman, David L & Mayo, John W, 2001. "Regulation, Vertical Integration and Sabotage," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 319-33, September.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990.
"Nash equilibrium with strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321.
- Crémer, Jacques & Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 1999.
"Connectivity in the Commercial Internet,"
IDEI Working Papers
87, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2000.
- Kondaurova, Irina & Weisman, Dennis L., 2003. "Incentives for non-price discrimination," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 147-171, June.
- David Sappington, 2006. "On the Merits of Vertical Divestiture," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 171-191, November.
- Vives, Xavier, 1984. "Duopoly information equilibrium: Cournot and bertrand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 71-94, October.
- Weisman, Dennis L, 1995. "Regulation and the Vertically Integrated Firm: The Case of RBOC Entry into Interlata Long Distance," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 249-66, November.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1998. "The incentive for non-price discrimination by an input monopolist," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 271-284, May.
- Dennis Weisman & Michael Williams, 2001. "The Costs and Benefits of Long-Distance Entry: Regulation and Non-Price Discrimination," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 275-282, May.
- Hinton, Paul J, et al, 1998. "An Analysis of the Welfare Effects of Long-Distance Market Entry by an Integrated Access and Long-Distance Provider," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 183-96, March.
- Topkis Donald M., 1995. "Comparative Statics of the Firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 370-401, December.
- Lee, Sang Hyup & Hamilton, Jonathan H, 1999. "Using Market Structure to Regulate a Vertically Integrated Monopolist," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 223-48, May.
- Mandy, David M, 2000. "Killing the Goose That May Have Laid the Golden Egg: Only the Data Know Whether Sabotage Pays," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 157-72, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umc:wpaper:0404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerie Kulp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.