Working Paper 188 - Remittances and their Macroeconomic Impact: Evidence from Africa
This paper examines macroeconomic trends, drivers and impact of remittances in Africa. First, it documents the increasing share of remittances relative to other foreign capital flows to Africa, distribution of remittance inflows across countries, and some key properties. This is followed by some analysis of the macroeconomic drivers of remittances in recipient countries, such as the level of income, inflation and nominal exchange rate depreciation. Specifically, remittances are positively impacted by higher income, but deterred by an unstable macroeconomic environment, pointing to the investment motive in remitting to Africa. The paper also examines the role of remittances in funding Africa’s external balances. Finally, drawing on the case of Egypt, the paper shows the positive impact that rising remittances can have on public debt sustainability.
|Date of creation:||23 Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Avenue du Ghana P.O.Box 323-1002 Tunis-Belvedère, Tunisia|
Phone: (+216) 71 10 39 00
Fax: (225) 21.77.53
Web page: https://www.afdb.org/en/knowledge/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mthuli Ncube & Zuzana Brixiová, 2015.
"Public Debt Sustainability in Africa: Building Resilience and Challenges Ahead,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 33(5), pages 555-580, 09.
- Mthuli Ncube & Zuzana Brixiov??, 2013. "Public Debt Sustainability in Africa: Building Resilience and Challenges Ahead," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1053, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ncube, Mthuli & Brixiova, Zuzana, 2015. "Public Debt Sustainability in Africa: Building Resilience and Challenges Ahead," IZA Policy Papers 101, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yéro Baldé, 2011. "The impact of Remittances and Foreign Aid on Savings/Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa," Post-Print hal-00785220, HAL.
- Vargas-Silva, Carlos, 2008.
"Are remittances manna from heaven? A look at the business cycle properties of remittances,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 290-303, December.
- Carlos Vargas-Silva, 2009. "Are Remittances Manna From Heaven? A Look at the Business Cycle Properties of Remittances," Working Papers 0905, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Ralph Chami & Dalia Hakura & Peter Montiel, 2010.
"Do Worker Remittances Reduce Output Volatility in Developing Countries?,"
Center for Development Economics
2010-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Chami Ralph & Hakura Dalia S. & Montiel Peter J., 2012. "Do Worker Remittances Reduce Output Volatility in Developing Countries?," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Ralph Chami & Dalia Hakura & Peter Montiel, 2010. "Do Worker Remittances Reduce Output Volatility in Developing Countries?," Department of Economics Working Papers 2010-17, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Christian Hubert Ebeke & Mireille Ntsama Etoundi & Thierry Yogo, 2012.
"Are Foreign Aid and Remittances a Hedge against Food Price Shocks in Developing Countries?,"
- Jean-Louis COMBES & Christian EBEKE & Mireille NTSAMA ETOUNDI, 2011. "Are Foreign Aid and Remittances a Hedge against Food Price Shocks in Developing Countries?," Working Papers 201121, CERDI.
- Adolfo Barajas & Ralph Chami & Christian H Ebeke & Sampawende J Tapsoba, 2012. "Workersâ€™ Remittances; An Overlooked Channel of International Business Cycle Transmission?," IMF Working Papers 12/251, International Monetary Fund.
- Gnangnon, Sèna Kimm, 2014. "The Effect of Development Aid Unpredictability and Migrants’ Remittances on Fiscal Consolidation in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 168-190.
- Ralph Chami & Yasser Abdih & Amine Mati & Michael T. Gapen, 2009. "Fiscal Sustainability in Remittance-Dependent Economies," IMF Working Papers 09/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Talvi, Ernesto, 1998.
"Capital flows and saving in Latin America and Asia: A reinterpretation,"
13704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Talvi, Ernesto, 1998. "Capital flows and saving in Latin America and Asia: a reinterpretation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 45-66, October.
- Connel Fullenkamp & Thomas F. Cosimano & Michael T. Gapen & Ralph Chami & Peter J Montiel & Adolfo Barajas, 2008. "Macroeconomic Consequences of Remittances," IMF Occasional Papers 259, International Monetary Fund.
- Combes, Jean-Louis & Ebeke, Christian Hubert & Etoundi, Sabine Mireille Ntsama & Yogo, Thierry Urbain, 2014.
"Are Remittances and Foreign Aid a Hedge Against Food Price Shocks in Developing Countries?,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 81-98.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Christian Hubert Ebeke & Mireille Ntsama Etoundi & Thierry Yogo, 2014. "Are Remittances and Foreign Aid a Hedge Against Food Price Shocks in Developing Countries?," Post-Print halshs-00913164, HAL.
- Freund, Caroline & Spatafora, Nikola, 2005. "Remittances : transaction costs, determinants, and informal flows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3704, The World Bank.
- Luca Barbone & Katarzyna Pietka-Kosinska & Irena Topinska, 2012. "The Impact of Remittances on Poland's Economy," CASE Network E-briefs 12, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Adams, Richard Jr. & Page, John, 2005. "Do international migration and remittances reduce poverty in developing countries?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1645-1669, October.
- Yasser Abdih & Ralph Chami & Christian H Ebeke & Adolfo Barajas, 2012. "Remittances Channel and Fiscal Impact in the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia," IMF Working Papers 12/104, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adb:adbwps:996. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adeleke Oluwole Salami)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.