Asset Value, Interest Rates and Oil Price Volatility
Simulations from a standard two-region model where producers respond to changes in interest rates are better able to match observed data than an identical model without supply-side responses. This indicates that incorporating the supply-side behaviour of oil producers is quantitatively important when endogenously modeling oil prices. These results have two implications. First, adding supply-side responses can change the oil price/output relationship, which is a continuing topic of research interest. Second, if production is unable to adjust to interest rate changes, an important explanatory factor of oil price volatility may be missing.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canberra, ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 3807
Fax: +61 2 6125 0744
Web page: http://rse.anu.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anton Nakov & Andrea Pescatori, 2007.
"Inflation-output gap trade-off with a dominant oil supplier,"
0723, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Anton Nakov & Andrea Pescatori, 2007. "Inflation-output gap trade-off with a dominant oil supplier," Working Paper 0710, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- repec:acb:camaaa:2011-21 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert B. Barsky & Lutz Kilian, 2004.
"Oil and the Macroeconomy Since the 1970s,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 115-134, Fall.
- Kemfert, Claudia & Welsch, Heinz, 2000. "Energy-Capital-Labor Substitution and the Economic Effects of CO2 Abatement: Evidence for Germany," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 641-660, November.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & James Banks & Costas Meghir & Guglielmo Weber, 1995.
"Humps and Bumps in Lifetime Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
5350, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Q. Farooq Akram, 2008.
"Commodity prices, interest rates and the dollar,"
2008/12, Norges Bank.
- Naohisa Hirakata & Nao Sudo, 2009. "Accounting for Oil Price Variation and Weakening Impact of the Oil Crisis," IMES Discussion Paper Series 09-E-01, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Arora, Vipin & Tyers, Rod, 2012.
"Asset arbitrage and the price of oil,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 142-150.
- Vipin Arora & Rod Tyers, 2011. "Asset Arbitrage and the Price of Oil," CAMA Working Papers 2011-21, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Vipin Arora, 2011. "Arbitrage and the Price of Oil," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2011-535, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:acb:cbeeco:2011-536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.