Improving the functioning of the rural financial markets of Armenia
Theoretical literature suggests that social capital, respectively the underlying social networks, facilitate access to otherwise lacking production factors such as financial resources. In addition, the manifestation of different dimensions of social capital is suggested to facilitate collective action and better outcomes in communities. This work analyses by means of Social Network Analysis the role of social capital (bonding and bridging dimensions) in accessing productive resources, in particular access to information and micro-credit. In addition, it determines empirically the significance of social capital (structural and cognitive dimensions) for the credit repayment performance of joint liability borrowing group members. The significance of both cognitive and structural social capital shows that it is essential to consider different dimensions of social capital in such an analysis. Otherwise, analysis may result to biased results. The results suggest that transition brought not only socio-economic changes but also changes of social structures and social support networks to rural Armenia. Though village culture appears to be preserved, social support networks prioritise and benefit the kin members first.
|This book is provided by Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO) in its series Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe with number 62 and published in 2011.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Theodor-Lieser-Strasse 2, 06120 Halle(Saale)|
Phone: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 0
Fax: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 199
Web page: http://www.iamo.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen & Loury, Glenn, 1993.
"The Economics of Rotating Savings and Credit Associations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 792-810, September.
- Timothy Besley & Stephen Coate & Glenn Loury, 1992. "The Economics of Rotating Savings and Credit Associations," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 24, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S. & Loury, G., 1990. "The Economics Of Rotating Savings And Credit Associations," Working papers 556, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S. & Loury, G., 1992. "The economics of Rotating Savings and Credit Associations," Papers 157, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S. & Loury, G., 1990. "The Economics Of Rotating Savings And Credit Associations," Papers 149, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1996. "Some Lessons from the East Asian Miracle," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 151-77, August.
- Amin, S. & Rai, A.S. & Topa, G., 2000.
"Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Nothern Bangladesh,"
28, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Amin, Sajeda & Rai, Ashok S. & Topa, Giorgio, 2003. "Does microcredit reach the poor and vulnerable? Evidence from northern Bangladesh," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 59-82, February.
- Sajeda Amin & Ashok S. Rai & Giorgio Topa, 1999. "Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Northern Bangladesh," CID Working Papers 28, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Amin, S. & Rai, A.S. & Topa, G., 1999. "Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Northern Bangldesh," Working Papers 99-06, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998.
"The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice,"
791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999. "The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Working Papers 791, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Hans G. P. Jansen & John Pender & Amy Damon & Willem Wielemaker & Rob Schipper, 2006. "Policies for sustainable development in the hillside areas of Honduras: a quantitative livelihoods approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 34(2), pages 141-153, 03.
- Adriaan R. Soetevent, 2006. "Empirics of the Identification of Social Interactions; An Evaluation of the Approaches and Their Results ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 193-228, 04.
- Alexandre Bertin & Nicolas Sirven, 2004.
"Social Capital and the Capability Approach: A Socio Economic Theory,"
- Alexandre Bertin & Nicolas Sirven, 2006. "Social Capital and the Capability Approach: A Socio Economic Theory," Post-Print hal-00238464, HAL.
- Woolcock, Michael & Narayan, Deepa, 2000. "Social Capital: Implications for Development Theory, Research, and Policy," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 225-49, August.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1995.
"Group lending, repayment incentives and social collateral,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S., 1991. "Group Lending, Repayment Incentives And Social Collateral," Papers 152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Huppi, Monika & Feder, Gershon, 1989.
"The role of groups and credit cooperatives in rural lending,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
284, The World Bank.
- Huppi, Monika & Feder, Gershon, 1990. "The Role of Groups and Credit Cooperatives in Rural Lending," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 187-204, July.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh, 1999. "Group lending, local information and peer selection," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 27-50, October.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Wydick, Bruce, 1999. "Can Social Cohesion Be Harnessed to Repair Market Failures? Evidence from Group Lending in Guatemala," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(457), pages 463-75, July.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x.
- Coffé, Hilde & Geys, Benny, 2006.
"Towards an empirical characterization of bridging and bonding social capital
[Zur empirischen Charakterisierung von heterogenen (bridging) und homogenen (bonding) Arten des Sozialkapitals]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2006-11, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Timothy Besley, 1995. "Nonmarket Institutions for Credit and Risk Sharing in Low-Income Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 115-127, Summer.
- van Bastelaer, Thierry & Leathers, Howard, 2006. "Trust in Lending: Social Capital and Joint Liability Seed Loans in Southern Zambia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1788-1807, October.
- Charles F. Manski, 1993. "Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 531-542.
- Simtowe, Franklin & Zeller, Manfred, 2006. "Determinants of Moral Hazard in Microfinance: Empirical Evidence from Joint Liability Lending Programs in Malawi," MPRA Paper 461, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zeller, Manfred & Sharma, Manohar, 1998. "Rural finance and poverty alleviation," Food policy reports 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Imperfect Information and Rural Credit Markets--Puzzles and Policy Perspectives," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 235-50, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:iamost:62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.