Finance for small enterprise growth and poverty reduction in developing countries
This paper examines the ways in which financial sector development policy might contribute to poverty reduction, particularly by supporting the growth of micro and small enterprises (MSEs). Specifically, the paper draws on case studies and empirical work on the changing role of MSEs in the development process and the access of MSEs to informal and formal finance, including the role of microfinance. A number of research priorities relating to the links among financial policy, small enterprise development and poverty reduction are identified for the immediate attention of researchers engaged in contributing to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) of halving global poverty by 2015. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 18 (2006)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2000.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 575-604, May.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2000. "Screening by the Company You Keep: Joint Liability Lending and the Peer Selection Effect," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 601-31, July.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1997.
"Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing and inference,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
365, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1999. "Threshold effects in non-dynamic panels: Estimation, testing, and inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 345-368, December.
- Grosh, Barbara & Somolekae, Gloria, 1996. "Mighty oaks from little acorns: Can microenterprise serve as the seedbed of industrialization?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1879-1890, December.
- Victor Murinde & Joram Kariisa-Kasa, 1997. "The financial performance of the East African Development Bank: a retrospective analysis," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 81-104.
- Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick, 2001. "Finance for Growth: Policy Choices in a Volatile World," MPRA Paper 9929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hossein Jalilian & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2005. "Does Financial Development Contribute to Poverty Reduction?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 636-656.
- Christopher J. Green & Colin Kirkpatrick & Victor Murinde (ed.), 2005. "Finance and Development," Books, Edward Elgar, number 2764.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2002.
" Growth Is Good for the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-225, September.
- Hutton, John P & Kenc, Turalay, 1998. "The Influence of Firms' Financial Policy on Tax Reform," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 663-84, October.
- Anderson, Dennis, 1982. "Small industry in developing countries: A discussion of issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(11), pages 913-948, November.
- Buckley, Graeme, 1997. "Microfinance in Africa: Is it either the problem or the solution?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1081-1093, July.
- Anonymous, 2004. "The Importance Of Financial Sector Development For Growth And Poverty Reduction," Policy Division Working Papers 12886, Department for International Development (DFID) (UK).
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Green, Christopher J. & Maggioni, Paolo & Murinde, Victor, 2000. "Regulatory lessons for emerging stock markets from a century of evidence on transactions costs and share price volatility in the London Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 577-601, April.
- Levy, Brian, 1993. "Obstacles to Developing Indigenous Small and Medium Enterprises: An Empirical Assessment," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 65-83, January.
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- Mead, Donald C., 1994. "The contribution of small enterprises to employment growth in southern and eastern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1881-1894, December.
- Colin Kirkpatrick & Christopher Green, 2002. "Finance and development: an overview of the issues," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 207-209.
- Cull, Robert & Davis, Lance E. & Lamoreaux, Naomi R. & Rosenthal, Jean-Laurent, 2006.
"Historical financing of small- and medium-size enterprises,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3017-3042, November.
- Robert Cull & Lance E. Davis & Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Jean-Laurent Rosenthal, 2005. "Historical Financing of Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprises," NBER Working Papers 11695, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mead, Donald C. & Liedholm, Carl, 1998. "The dynamics of micro and small enterprises in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 61-74, January.
- World Bank, 2001. "Finance for Growth : Policy Choices in a Volatile World," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13895, March.
- Jalilian, Hossein & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2002. "Financial Development and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 97-108, April.
- Mosley, Paul & Hulme, David, 1998. "Microenterprise finance: Is there a conflict between growth and poverty alleviation?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 783-790, May.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Peer Monitoring and Credit Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 351-66, September.
- Steel, William F. & Aryeetey, Ernest & Hettige, Hemamala & Nissanke, Machiko, 1997. "Informal financial markets under liberalization in four African countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 817-830, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:18:y:2006:i:7:p:1017-1030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.