Microfinance in Africa: Is it either the problem or the solution?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bolnick, Bruce R., 1992. "Moneylenders and informal financial markets in Malawi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 57-68, January.
- Velenchik, Ann D, 1995. "Apprenticeship Contracts, Small Enterprises, and Credit Markets in Ghana," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(3), pages 451-475, September.
- Marsden, K., 1990. "African Entrepreneurs; Pioneers of Development," Papers 9, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-meza, Jorge, 2000.
"Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 333-346, February.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge, 1998. "Microcredit And The Poorest Of The Poor: Theory And Evidence From Bolivia," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers - ESO Series 28334, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Musinguzi, Polycarp & Smith, Peter, 2000. "Saving and borrowing in rural Uganda," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 16, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Hollis, Aidan & Sweetman, Arthur, 2001. "The life-cycle of a microfinance institution: the Irish loan funds," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 291-311, November.
- Gloukoviezoff, Georges, 2016. "Evaluating the impact of European microfinance. The foundations," EIF Working Paper Series 2016/33, European Investment Fund (EIF).
- Christopher J. Green & Colin H. Kirkpatrick & Victor Murinde, 2006. "Finance for small enterprise growth and poverty reduction in developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(7), pages 1017-1030.
- Hollis, Aidan & Sweetman, Arthur, 2004. "Microfinance and Famine: The Irish Loan Funds during the Great Famine," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1509-1523, September.
- Vassili Prokopenko & Paul Holden, 2001. "Financial Development and Poverty Alleviation; Issues and Policy Implications for Developing and Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/160, International Monetary Fund.
- F. Nader, Yasmine, 2008. "Microcredit and the socio-economic wellbeing of women and their families in Cairo," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 644-656, April.
- repec:ags:apstra:250222 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hollis, Aidan & Sweetman, Arthur, 1998. "Microcredit: What can we learn from the past?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1875-1891, October.
- Komicha, Hussien Hamda, 2007. "Farm household economic behaviour in imperfect financial markets," Department of Economics publications 1563, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Economics.
- repec:spr:decisn:v:44:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s40622-017-0148-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ali, Merima & Peerlings, Jack, 2011.
"Value Added of Cluster Membership for Micro Enterprises of the Handloom Sector in Ethiopia,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 363-374, March.
- Ali, Merima & Peerlings, Jack H.M., 2009. "Value added of Cluster Membership for Micro Enterprises of the Handloom Sector in Ethiopia," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 49922, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tripp, Aili Mari, 2001. "Non-formal Institutions, Informal Economies, and the Politics of Inclusion," WIDER Working Paper Series 108, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Nicole D. Peterson, 2012. "Developing Climate Adaptation: The Intersection of Climate Research and Development Programmes in Index Insurance," Development and Change, International Institute of Social Studies, vol. 43(2), pages 557-584, March.
- Mark Schreiner & Jacob Yaron, 2001. "Development Finance Institutions : Measuring Their Subsidy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13983, December.
- Llanto, Gilberto M. & Fukui, Ryu, 2006. "Innovations in Microfinance in Southeast Asia," Research Paper Series RPS 2006-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- James C. Brau & Gary M. Woller, 2004. "Microfinance: A Comprehensive Review of the Existing Literature," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, Spring.
- Namizata Binaté Fofana & Gerrit Antonides & Anke Niehof & Johan Ophem, 2015. "How microfinance empowers women in Côte d’Ivoire," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 1023-1041, December.
- repec:bla:scotjp:v:64:y:2017:i:3:p:283-309 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hulme, David, 2000. "Impact Assessment Methodologies for Microfinance: Theory, Experience and Better Practice," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 79-98, January.
- Adewale Abideen Adeyemi & M. Kabir Hassan, 2014. "Islamic microfinancing," Chapters,in: Handbook on Islam and Economic Life, chapter 21, pages iii-iii Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Pretes, Michael, 2002. "Microequity and Microfinance," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1341-1353, August.
- Xaba, Jantjie. & Horn, Pat. & Motala, Shirin. & Singh, Andrea., 2002. "Informal sector in Sub-Saharan Africa," ILO Working Papers 993551903402676, International Labour Organization.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:25:y:1997:i:7:p:1081-1093. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.