How Complementary Are Prudential Regulation and Monetary Policy?
Could either monetary policy or financial prudential regulation be relied on individually to mitigate asset price cycles or their effects? If both ways are effective, monetary policy and prudential regulation could then be considered “substitutes,” in the sense that the individual use of either instrument leads to a reduction in the volatility of both corresponding targets. This note, however, argues in favor of complementarity—rather than substitution—in the use of monetary and macroprudential policies: the combined (articulate) use of both policies tends to be more effective than a standalone implementation of either.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 60 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Augusto de la Torre & Alain Ize, 2010.
"Regulatory Reform: Integrating Paradigms,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 109-139, 03.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Ize, Alain, 2009. "Regulatory reform : integrating paradigms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4842, The World Bank.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2012. "Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 687-705.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2009. "Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5151, The World Bank.
- Pierre-Richard & K. Alper & L. Pereira da Silva, 2011. "Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections," Working Papers Series 231, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2009. "Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 124, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl F Habermeier & Marcos d Chamon & Mahvash S Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows; The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Sushil Wadhwani, 2008. "Should Monetary Policy respond to Asset Price Bubbles? Revisiting the Debate," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Sushil Wadhwani, 2008. "Should Monetary Policy Respond to Asset Price Bubbles? Revisiting the Debate," FMG Special Papers sp180, Financial Markets Group.
- Alan S. Blinder, 2010. "How Central Should the Central Bank Be?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 48(1), pages 123-133, March.
- Alan S. Blinder, 2010. "How Central Should the Central Bank Be?," Working Papers 1202, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Gabriele Galati & Richhild Moessner, 2013. "Macroprudential Policy – A Literature Review," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 846-878, December.
- Gabriele Galati & Richhild Moessner, 2010. "Macroprudential policy - a literature review," DNB Working Papers 267, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Gabriele Galati & Richhild Moessner, 2011. "Macroprudential policy - a literature review," BIS Working Papers 337, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ghosh, Swati & Sugawara, Naotaka & Zalduendo, Juan, 2011. "Bank Flows and Basel III—Determinants and Regional Differences in Emerging Markets," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 56, pages 1-6, April.
- Otaviano Canuto & Marcelo Giugale, 2010. "The Day After Tomorrow : A Handbook on the Future of Economic Policy in the Developing World," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2507.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Leonardo Gambacorta & Gabriel Jiminez & Carlos Trucharte, 2010. "Countercyclical capital buffers: exploring options," BIS Working Papers 317, Bank for International Settlements.
- Sushil Wadhwani, 2008. "Should Monetary Policy Respond To Asset Price Bubbles? Revisiting the Debate," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 206(1), pages 25-34, October.
- MArcio Gomes Pinto Garcia, 2011. "Can Sterilized FX Purchases under Inflation Targeting be Expansionary?," Textos para discussão 589, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- repec:pri:cepsud:198blinder is not listed on IDEAS
- Swati Ghosh & Naotaka Sugawara & Juan Zalduendo, 2011. "Bank Flows and Basel III—Determinants and Regional Differences in Emerging Markets," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10099, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)