How Complementary Are Prudential Regulation and Monetary Policy?
Could either monetary policy or financial prudential regulation be relied on individually to mitigate asset price cycles or their effects? If both ways are effective, monetary policy and prudential regulation could then be considered “substitutes,” in the sense that the individual use of either instrument leads to a reduction in the volatility of both corresponding targets. This note, however, argues in favor of complementarity—rather than substitution—in the use of monetary and macroprudential policies: the combined (articulate) use of both policies tends to be more effective than a standalone implementation of either.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 60 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Leonardo Gambacorta & Gabriel Jiminez & Carlos Trucharte, 2010. "Countercyclical capital buffers: exploring options," BIS Working Papers 317, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows: The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2009.
"Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
124, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2012. "Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 687-705.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2009. "Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5151, The World Bank.
- Pierre-Richard & K. Alper & L. Pereira da Silva, 2011. "Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections," Working Papers Series 231, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- MArcio Gomes Pinto Garcia, 2011. "Can Sterilized FX Purchases under Inflation Targeting be Expansionary?," Textos para discussão 589, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Augusto de la Torre & Alain Ize, 2010.
"Regulatory Reform: Integrating Paradigms,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 109-139, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:prmecp:ep60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Jelenic)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.