How Complementary Are Prudential Regulation and Monetary Policy?
Could either monetary policy or financial prudential regulation be relied on individually to mitigate asset price cycles or their effects? If both ways are effective, monetary policy and prudential regulation could then be considered “substitutes,” in the sense that the individual use of either instrument leads to a reduction in the volatility of both corresponding targets. This note, however, argues in favor of complementarity—rather than substitution—in the use of monetary and macroprudential policies: the combined (articulate) use of both policies tends to be more effective than a standalone implementation of either.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 60 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Richard & K. Alper & L. Pereira da Silva, 2011.
"Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections,"
Working Papers Series
231, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2012. "Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 687-705.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Koray Alper & Luiz Pereira da Silva, 2009. "Capital Requirements and Business Cycles with Credit Market Imperfections," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 124, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Agénor, P.-R. & Alper, K. & Pereira da Silva, L., 2009. "Capital requirements and business cycles with credit market imperfections," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5151, The World Bank.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows; The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Ize, Alain, 2009.
"Regulatory reform : integrating paradigms,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4842, The World Bank.
- MArcio Gomes Pinto Garcia, 2011. "Can Sterilized FX Purchases under Inflation Targeting be Expansionary?," Textos para discussão 589, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Leonardo Gambacorta & Gabriel Jiminez & Carlos Trucharte, 2010. "Countercyclical capital buffers: exploring options," BIS Working Papers 317, Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:prmecp:ep60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Jelenic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.