Do Buyers’ Characteristics and Personal Relationships Affect Agricultural Land Prices?
The influence of buyer and personal relationship characteristics on agricultural land prices has received little attention in the literature. Recently, Perry and Robison (2001) used a restricted nonlinear specification to model the influence of personal relationships on the implicit prices of land characteristics. In this paper a more flexible alternative model is proposed. An approach to general model specification and model selection is presented. The results indicate that buyer characteristics and personal relationships exert nonuniform effects on the implicit prices of land characteristics. Our results support the hypothesis that social capital affects the terms of trade in the land market.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Kostov & Myles Patton & Seamus McErlean, 2008. "Nonparametric analysis of the influence of buyers' characteristics and personal relationships on agricultural land prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 161-176.
- Elad, R.L. & Clifton, I.D. & Epperson, J.E., 1994.
"Hedonic Estimation Applied to the Farmland Market in Georgia,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 351-366, December.
- Elad, Renata L. & Clifton, Ivery D. & Epperson, James E., 1994. "Hedonic Estimation Applied To The Farmland Market In Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Thomas Kneib & Torsten Hothorn & Gerhard Tutz, 2009. "Variable Selection and Model Choice in Geoadditive Regression Models," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 65(2), pages 626-634, June.
- Gerhard Tutz & Harald Binder, 2006. "Generalized Additive Modeling with Implicit Variable Selection by Likelihood-Based Boosting," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 961-971, December.
- Gregory M. Perry & Lindon J. Robison, 2001. "Evaluating the Influence of Personal Relationships on Land Sale Prices: A Case Study in Oregon," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(3), pages 385-398.
- Myles Patton & Seamus McErlean, 2003. "Spatial Effects within the Agricultural Land Market in Northern Ireland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 35-54.
- David L. Chicoine, 1981. "Farmland Values at the Urban Fringe: An Analysis of Sale Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 353-362. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)