Nonparametric analysis of the influence of buyers' characteristics and personal relationships on agricultural land prices
The influence of buyer and personal relationship characteristics on agricultural land prices has received little attention in the literature. Recently, G.M. Perry and L.J. Robinson (2001) used a restricted nonlinear specification to model the influence of personal relationships (and other factors) on the implicit prices of land characteristics. In this article, we extend and generalize their specification using nonparametric neural networks. The results indicate that buyer characteristics and personal relationships affect the terms of trade in the land market, which is consistent with the social capital hypothesis. The impact of buyer characteristics and personal relationships on the implicit prices of land characteristics is, however, non-uniform and highly nonlinear. [EconLit citations: C290, D450, Q150]. © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Equilibrium sorting of heterogeneous consumers across locations: theory and empirical implications," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- David L. Chicoine, 1981. "Farmland Values at the Urban Fringe: An Analysis of Sale Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 353-362.
- Myles Patton & Seamus McErlean, 2003. "Spatial Effects within the Agricultural Land Market in Northern Ireland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 35-54.
- Robison, Lindon J. & Schmid, A. Allan & Siles, Marcelo E., 1999.
"Is Social Capital Really Capital?,"
11649, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Gregory M. Perry & Lindon J. Robison, 2001. "Evaluating the Influence of Personal Relationships on Land Sale Prices: A Case Study in Oregon," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(3), pages 385-398.
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & White, Halbert & Granger, Clive W. J., 1993.
"Testing for neglected nonlinearity in time series models : A comparison of neural network methods and alternative tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 269-290, April.
- Tom Doan, . "REGRESET: RATS procedure to perform Ramsey RESET test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00181, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGWHITENNTEST: RATS procedure to perform White neural network test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00183, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2003.
"Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars P. Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 9910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 1031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Identification and estimation of hedonic models," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard W. Dunford & Carole E. Marti & Ronald C. Mittelhammer, 1997. "A Case Study of Rural Land Prices at the Urban Fringe Including Subjective Buyer Expectations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(1), pages 10-16.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6486 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robison, Lindon J. & Myers, Robert J. & Siles, Marcelo E., 1999. "Social Capital, The Terms Of Trade, And The Distribution Of Income," Staff Papers 11546, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Elad, R.L. & Clifton, I.D. & Epperson, J.E., 1994.
"Hedonic Estimation Applied to the Farmland Market in Georgia,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 351-366, December.
- Elad, Renata L. & Clifton, Ivery D. & Epperson, James E., 1994. "Hedonic Estimation Applied To The Farmland Market In Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Kennedy, Gary A. & Henning, Steven A. & Vandeveer, Lonnie R. & Dai, Ming, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis Of The Louisiana Rural Land Market," Station Bulletins 31682, Louisiana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness.
- Feng Xu & Ron C. Mittelhammer & Paul W. Barkley, 1993. "Measuring the Contributions of Site Characteristics to the Value of Agricultural Land," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(4), pages 356-369.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:24:y:2008:i:2:p:161-176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.