Forced Sales And Farmland Prices
In this paper we analyse agricultural land prices in the state Brandenburg. Our objective is to understand the price formation in foreclosures. Knowledge of the impact of foreclosures is desirable for the determination of mortgage lending values. The effect of foreclosures can be decomposed into two parts. First, the effect of a pressured sale, which will likely reduce the realized price compared with an unpressured sale and second, the effect of an auction, which may lead to a price premium. The empirical analysis is based on a rich data set of land prices in Brandenburg between 2000 and 2011 provided by the “Oberer Gutachterausschuss für Grundstückswerte”. The treatment effect of forced sales is derived by means of a statistical matching approach. Our results show that on average prices premia rather than price discounts are realized in forced sales of agricultural land. The price differential between forced and nonforced sales, however, is not constant but depends on the land market conditions.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus T. Allen & Judith Swisher, 2000. "An Analysis of the Price Formation Process at a HUD Auction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 20(3), pages 279-298.
- John Y. Campbell & Stefano Giglio & Parag Pathak, 2009.
"Forced Sales and House Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
14866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth M. Lusht, 1996. "A Comparison of Prices Brought by English Auctions and Private Negotiations," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(4), pages 517-530.
- Mendelsohn, Robert & Nordhaus, William D & Shaw, Daigee, 1994. "The Impact of Global Warming on Agriculture: A Ricardian Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 753-71, September.
- Myles Patton & Seamus McErlean, 2003. "Spatial Effects within the Agricultural Land Market in Northern Ireland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 35-54.
- Daniel C. Quan, 2002. "Market Mechanism Choice and Real Estate Disposition: Search Versus Auction," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 365-384.
- Christopher J. Mayer, 1998. "Assessing the Performance of Real Estate Auctions," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 41-66.
- Pace, R Kelley, et al, 1998. "Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 15-33, July.
- Robert W. Paterson & Kevin J. Boyle, 2002. "Out of Sight, Out of Mind? Using GIS to Incorporate Visibility in Hedonic Property Value Models," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(3), pages 417-425.
- Edwin Leuven & Barbara Sianesi, 2003. "PSMATCH2: Stata module to perform full Mahalanobis and propensity score matching, common support graphing, and covariate imbalance testing," Statistical Software Components S432001, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 19 Jan 2015.
- Feng Xu & Ron C. Mittelhammer & Paul W. Barkley, 1993. "Measuring the Contributions of Site Characteristics to the Value of Agricultural Land," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(4), pages 356-369.
- Mayer Christopher J., 1995. "A Model of Negotiated Sales Applied to Real Estate Auctions," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-22, July.
- David A. King & J. A. Sinden, 1994. "Price Formation in Farm Land Markets," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(1), pages 38-52.
- Haixiao Huang & Gay Y. Miller & Bruce J. Sherrick & Miguel I. G�mez, 2006. "Factors Influencing Illinois Farmland Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 458-470.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi12:133413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.