Patent Protection, Market Uncertainty, and R&D Investment
The main reason governments grant patent protection is to spur innovation. However, the size of the R&D stimulus from patent protection is far from clear because it depends on how effective patents are as a mechanism for appropriating returns. Drawing on real options investment theory, this paper highlights one mechanism through which patents may improve appropriability and stimulate R&D investment: patents reduce the effect of market uncertainty on the firm’s investment decision. We find that firm-level R&D investment falls in response to higher levels of uncertainty, but that patent protection partially mitigates the influence of uncertainty. © 2011 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nick Bloom & Stephen Bond & John Van Reenen, 2007.
"Uncertainty and Investment Dynamics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 391-415.
- Nick Bloom & Stephen Bond & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Uncertainty and Investment Dynamics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0739, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- John Van Reenen & Nick Bloom & Steve Bond, 2006. "Uncertainty and investment dynamics," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2645, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen & Stephen Bond, 2006. "Uncertainty and Investment Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 12383, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Lensink & Hong Bo & Elmer Sterken, 2001. "Investment, Capital Market Imperfections, and Uncertainty," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1770, March.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Productivity and R&D at the Firm Level,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 100-133
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goel, Rajeev K. & Ram, Rati, 2001. "Irreversibility of R&D investment and the adverse effect of uncertainty: Evidence from the OECD countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 287-291, May.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990.
"Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment,"
3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Sunil Kanwar & Robert Evenson, 2001.
"Does Intellectual Property Protection Spur Technological Change,"
831, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Sunil Kanwar & Robert Evenson, 2003. "Does intellectual property protection spur technological change?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(2), pages 235-264, April.
- Sunil Kanwar & Robert E Evanson, 2004. "Does Intellectual Property Protection Spur Technological Change?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000000455, David K. Levine.
- Ashish Arora & Marco Ceccagnoli & Wesley M. Cohen, 2003.
"R&D and the Patent Premium,"
NBER Working Papers
9431, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Collins, Norman R & Preston, Lee E, 1969. "Price-Cost Margins and Industry Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 271-86, August.
- Robert Novy-Marx, 2007. "An Equilibrium Model of Investment Under Uncertainty," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1461-1502, 2007 29.
- Helen Weeds, 2002.
"Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 729-747.
- Weeds, H., 2000. "Strategic Delay in a Real Optimna Model of R&D Competition," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 576, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mark Schankerman, 1998. "How Valuable is Patent Protection? Estimates by Technology Field," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 77-107, Spring.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992. "Investment and Hysteresis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 107-132, Winter.
- Ravenscraft, David J, 1983. "Structure-Profit Relationships at the Line of Business and Industry Level," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 22-31, February.
- Jean Olson Lanjouw, 1998. "Patent Protection in the Shadow of Infringement: Simulation Estimations of Patent Value," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(4), pages 671-710.
- Ariel Pakes, 1984.
"Patents as Options: Some Estimates of the Value of Holding European Patent Stocks,"
NBER Working Papers
1340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pakes, Ariel S, 1986. "Patents as Options: Some Estimates of the Value of Holding European Patent Stocks," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 755-84, July.
- Bulan, Laarni T., 2005. "Real options, irreversible investment and firm uncertainty: New evidence from U.S. firms," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 255-279.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1992.
"Investments of Uncertain Cost,"
NBER Working Papers
4175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leahy, John V & Whited, Toni M, 1996.
"The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 64-83, February.
- John V. Leahy & Toni M. Whited, 1995. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Investment: Some Stylized Facts," NBER Working Papers 4986, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1990. "The Manufacturing Sector Master File: 1959-1987," NBER Working Papers 3366, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Carruth & Andy Dickerson & Andrew Henley, 1998.
"What Do We Know About Investment Under Uncertainty?,"
Studies in Economics
9804, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Carruth, Alan & Dickerson, Andrew & Henley, Andrew, 2000. " What Do We Know about Investment under Uncertainty?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 119-53, April.
- Wesley M. Cohen, 2005. "Patents and Appropriation: Concerns and Evidence-super-1," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 30(2_2), pages 57-71, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:93:y:2011:i:1:p:147-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.