Bayesian Analysis of Latent Threshold Dynamic Models
We discuss a general approach to dynamic sparsity modeling in multivariate time series analysis. Time-varying parameters are linked to latent processes that are thresholded to induce zero values adaptively, providing natural mechanisms for dynamic variable inclusion/selection. We discuss Bayesian model specification, analysis and prediction in dynamic regressions, time-varying vector autoregressions, and multivariate volatility models using latent thresholding. Application to a topical macroeconomic time series problem illustrates some of the benefits of the approach in terms of statistical and economic interpretations as well as improved predictions. Supplementary materials for this article are available online.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/UBES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/UBES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 1994. "Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models: Comments: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 413-17, October.
- Iwata, Shigeru & Wu, Shu, 2006. "Estimating monetary policy effects when interest rates are close to zero," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1395-1408, October.
- Joshua C C Chan & Gary Koop & Roberto Leon-Gonzales & Rodney W Strachan, 2011.
"Time Varying Dimension Models,"
CAMA Working Papers
2011-28, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Joshua C.C. Chan & Garry Koop & Roberto Leon Gonzales & Rodney W. Strachan, 2010. "Time Varying Dimension Models," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2010-523, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Joshua Chan & Gary Koop & Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Rodney Strachan, 2011. "Time Varying Dimension Models," Working Papers 1116, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Joshua C.C. Chan & Gary Koop & Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Rodney W. Strachan, 2010. "Time Varying Dimension Models," Working Paper Series 44_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Chan, Joshua C C & Koop, Gary & Leon-Gonzalez, Roberto & Strachan, Rodney W, 2010. "Time Varying Dimension Models," SIRE Discussion Papers 2012-33, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Giorgio E. Primiceri, 2005. "Time Varying Structural Vector Autoregressions and Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 821-852.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 361-393.
- repec:wop:ubisop:0094 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009.
"Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics,"
20125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2010. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 3(4), pages 267-358, July.
- Gary Koop & Dimitris Korobilis, 2009. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," Working Paper Series 47_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Jouchi Nakajima, 2011. "Time-Varying Parameter VAR Model with Stochastic Volatility: An Overview of Methodology and Empirical Applications," IMES Discussion Paper Series 11-E-09, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 1994.
"Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 371-89, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Jacquier, Polson, Rossi (1994) stochastic volatility," Statistical Software Components RTZ00105, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jouchi Nakajima & Mike West, 2012. "Dynamic Factor Volatility Modeling: A Bayesian Latent Threshold Approach," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 11(1), pages 116-153, December.
- Hao Wang & Mike West, 2009. "Bayesian analysis of matrix normal graphical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(4), pages 821-834.
- Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009.
"VAR forecasting using Bayesian variable selection,"
21124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- KOROBILIS, Dimitris, 2011. "VAR forecasting using Bayesian variable selection," CORE Discussion Papers 2011022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dimitris Korobilis, 2010. "VAR Forecasting Using Bayesian Variable Selection," Working Paper Series 51_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Apr 2011.
- Benati, Luca & Surico, Paolo, 2007.
"Evolving U.S. monetary policy and the decline of inflation predictability,"
Working Paper Series
0824, European Central Bank.
- Luca Benati & Paolo Surico, 2008. "Evolving U.S. Monetary Policy and The Decline of Inflation Predictability," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(2-3), pages 634-646, 04-05.
- George, Edward I. & Sun, Dongchu & Ni, Shawn, 2008. "Bayesian stochastic search for VAR model restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 553-580, January.
- Benati, Luca, 2007.
"The ‘Great Moderation’ in the United Kingdom,"
Working Paper Series
0769, European Central Bank.
- Jouchi Nakajima & Shigenori Shiratsuka & Yuki Teranishi, 2010. "The Effects of Monetary Policy Commitment: Evidence from Time- varying Parameter VAR Analysis," IMES Discussion Paper Series 10-E-06, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Steven Wei, 1999. "A bayesian approach to dynamic tobit models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 417-439.
- Ana Beatriz Galvao & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2010.
"Endogenous Monetary Policy Regimes and the Great Moderation,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2010/22, European University Institute.
- Galvão, Ana Beatriz C & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2010. "Endogenous Monetary Policy Regimes and the Great Moderation," CEPR Discussion Papers 7827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith M. & Kohn R., 2002. "Parsimonious Covariance Matrix Estimation for Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1141-1153, December.
- Cathy Chen & Feng Liu & Richard Gerlach, 2011. "Bayesian subset selection for threshold autoregressive moving-average models," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Jaehee Kim & Sooyoung Cheon, 2010. "A Bayesian regime-switching time-series model," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(5), pages 365-378, 09.
- Koop, Gary & Leon-Gonzalez, Roberto & Strachan, Rodney W., 2009. "On the evolution of the monetary policy transmission mechanism," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 997-1017, April.
- Wang, Hao, 2010. "Sparse seemingly unrelated regression modelling: Applications in finance and econometrics," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2866-2877, November.
- Carvalho, Carlos M. & Chang, Jeffrey & Lucas, Joseph E. & Nevins, Joseph R. & Wang, Quanli & West, Mike, 2008. "High-Dimensional Sparse Factor Modeling: Applications in Gene Expression Genomics," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1438-1456.
- Jouchi Nakajima, 2011. "Time-Varying Parameter VAR Model with Stochastic Volatility: An Overview of Methodology and Empirical Applications," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 29, pages 107-142, November.
- Aguilar, Omar & West, Mike, 2000. "Bayesian Dynamic Factor Models and Portfolio Allocation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 338-57, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jnlbes:v:31:y:2013:i:2:p:151-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.