Sparse seemingly unrelated regression modelling: Applications in finance and econometrics
A sparse seemingly unrelated regression (SSUR) model is proposed to generate substantively relevant structures in the high-dimensional distributions of seemingly unrelated regression (SUR) model parameters. The SSUR framework includes prior specifications, posterior computations using Markov chain Monte Carlo methods, evaluations of model uncertainty, and model structure searches. Extensions of the SSUR model to dynamic models embed general structure constraints and model uncertainty in dynamic models. The models represent specific varieties of models recently developed in the growing high-dimensional sparse modelling literature. Two simulated examples illustrate the model and highlight questions regarding model uncertainty, searching, and comparison. The model is then applied to two real-world examples in macroeconomics and finance, according to which its identified structures have practical significance.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foschi, Paolo & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J., 2002. "Seemingly unrelated regression model with unequal size observations: computational aspects," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 211-229, November.
- Hao Wang & Mike West, 2009. "Bayesian analysis of matrix normal graphical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(4), pages 821-834.
- Geske, Robert & Roll, Richard, 1983. " The Fiscal and Monetary Linkage between Stock Returns and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1995. "Hierarchical analysis of SUR models with extensions to correlated serial errors and time-varying parameter models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 339-360, August.
- C. M. Carvalho & J. G. Scott, 2009. "Objective Bayesian model selection in Gaussian graphical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(3), pages 497-512.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Griffiths, W.E., 2001. "Bayesian Inference in the Seemingly Unrelated Regressions Models," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 793, The University of Melbourne.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 2000.
"Nonparametric seemingly unrelated regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 257-281, October.
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., 1998. "Nonparametric Seemingly Unrelated Regression," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- George, Edward I. & Sun, Dongchu & Ni, Shawn, 2008. "Bayesian stochastic search for VAR model restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 553-580, January.
- Lee, Bong-Soo, 1992. " Causal Relations among Stock Returns, Interest Rates, Real Activity, and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1591-603, September.
- Carlos M. Carvalho & Hél�ne Massam & Mike West, 2007. "Simulation of hyper-inverse Wishart distributions in graphical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(3), pages 647-659.
- Michael J. Daniels, 2002. "Bayesian analysis of covariance matrices and dynamic models for longitudinal data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 553-566, August.
- Dobra, Adrian & Hans, Chris & Jones, Beatrix & Nevins, J.R.Joseph R. & Yao, Guang & West, Mike, 2004. "Sparse graphical models for exploring gene expression data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 196-212, July.
- Foschi, Paolo & Belsley, David A. & Kontoghiorghes, Erricos J., 2003. "A comparative study of algorithms for solving seemingly unrelated regressions models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 3-35, October.
- Kontoghiorghes, E. J. & Clarke, M. R. B., 1995. "An alternative approach for the numerical solution of seemingly unrelated regression equations models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 369-377, April.
- Min, Chung-ki & Zellner, Arnold, 1993.
"Bayesian and non-Bayesian methods for combining models and forecasts with applications to forecasting international growth rates,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 89-118, March.
- Min, C.K. & Zellner, A., 1992. ""Bayesian and Non-Bayesian Methods for Combining Models and Forecasts with Applications to Forecasting International Growth Rates"," Papers 90-92-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Smith M. & Kohn R., 2002. "Parsimonious Covariance Matrix Estimation for Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1141-1153, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:11:p:2866-2877. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.