International correlations across stock markets and industries: trends and patterns 1988-2002
Data from eight major stock markets world-wide and five industries in each market are analysed. The correlations of return indices between countries and industries are studied with the hope of finding answers or confirming previous empirical answers to the following questions and the implications of these findings for investment strategy determined. (1) Do both the country-specific correlations and industry-specific correlations fluctuate significantly over time between 1988 and 2002? (2) Are the country-specific and industry-specific correlations positively related to stock market volatilities? It is concluded that: First, the correlations among national stock markets have been increasing between 1988 and 2002 and the correlations are not constant over the time period of this research. This indicates that the effect of globalization outweighs country-specific factors in determining the co-movements of the markets. Second, the correlations are positively related to volatility in the stock markets in this sample. Correlations rise in periods when conditional volatility of markets is large. Finally, in most cases, correlations between national stock markets are greater than those between the five industries chosen in these markets, indicating that investment diversification across industries provides greater risk reduction benefits than diversification across countries.
Volume (Year): 16 (2006)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Butler, K. C. & Joaquin, D. C., 2002. "Are the gains from international portfolio diversification exaggerated? The influence of downside risk in bear markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 981-1011, December.
- Eduardo Roca, 1999. "Short-term and long-term price linkages between the equity markets of Australia and its major trading partners," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 501-511.
- Kari Heimonen, 2002. "Stock market integration: evidence on price integration and return convergence," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(6), pages 415-429.
- Kpate ADJAOUTE & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2001.
"Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well in Euroland !,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
01.08, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Kpate Adjaoute & Jean-Pierre Danthine, 2004. "Portfolio diversification: alive and well in Euro-land!," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(17), pages 1225-1231.
- Adjaoute, Kpate & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!," CEPR Discussion Papers 3086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adjaoute, K. & Danthine, J.P., 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well In Euroland," Papers 32, Manitoba - Department of Economics.
- Kpaté ADJAOUTE & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!," FAME Research Paper Series rp32, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Jian Yang & James Kolari & Insik Min, 2003. "Stock market integration and financial crises: the case of Asia," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 477-486.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ioannis Asimakopoulos & John Goddard & Costas Siriopoulos, 2000. "Interdependence between the US and major European equity markets: evidence from spectral analysis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 41-47.
- Bernd Kempa & Michael Nelles, 2001. "International correlations and excess returns in European stock markets: does EMU matter?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 69-73.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Ebens, Heiko, 2001. "The distribution of realized stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 43-76, July.
- Theodore Syriopoulos, 2004. "International portfolio diversification to Central European stock markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(17), pages 1253-1268.
- Taylor, Mark P & Tonks, Ian, 1989. "The Internationalisation of Stock Markets and the Abolition of U.K. Exchange Control," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(2), pages 332-36, May.
- Panton, Don B. & Lessig, V. Parker & Joy, O. Maurice, 1976. "Comovement of International Equity Markets: A Taxonomic Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 415-432, September.
- Luis CatÃ£o & Robin Brooks, 2000. "The New Economy and Global Stock Return," IMF Working Papers 00/216, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:16:y:2006:i:16:p:1171-1183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.