Modelling Price Dynamics In The Hong Kong Property Market
The property market in Hong Kong plays an important role in the political, social and economic life of this vibrant city. Understanding the dynamics of the market is essential to guide government policy making and investment decisions. Using data collected between 1993 and 2006, this study investigates the monthly returns, volatilities, and time-varying correlations in the residential, office, and retail property markets in Hong Kong. A vector autoregressive (VAR) model is used to examine the conditional mean, and a multivariate generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity (MGARCH) model is adopted to analyze the conditional variance. The dynamic conditional correlation (DCC) approach is utilized to specify the MGARCH model. All of the property types show strong auto- and cross-correlations, which indicates that the sectors relate to each other closely. All three sectors have higher volatilities when major political and economic events occur. The findings reveal the possibility of balancing investment portfolios between the three sectors in the Hong Kong property market. However, exposure to the residential sector may reduce the chance of investment diversification because of the higher correlation of this sector with the other property sectors.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1S (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://ccasp.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiuling Lu & Raymond So, 2005. "Return Relationships between Listed Banks and Real Estate Firms: Evidence from Seven Asian Economies," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 189-206, September.
- Yuming Fu & Lilian K Ng, 2000.
"Market Efficiency and Return Statistics: Evidence from Real Estate and stock Markets Using a Present-Value Approach,"
Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers
00-03, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Yuming Fu & Lilian K. Ng, 2001. "Market Efficiency and Return Statistics: Evidence from Real Estate and Stock Markets Using a Present-Value Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 227-250.
- Cotter, John & Stevenson, Simon, 2005.
"Multivariate Modeling of Daily REIT Volatility,"
3524, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Neal Maroney & Atsuyuki Naka, 2006. "Diversification Benefits of Japanese Real Estate Over the Last Four Decades," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 259-274, November.
- Ling, David C & Naranjo, Andy, 2002. "Commercial Real Estate Return Performance: A Cross-Country Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1-2), pages 119-42, Jan.-Marc.
- Engle III, Robert F., 2003.
"Risk and Volatility: Econometric Models and Financial Practice,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
2003-4, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Robert Engle, 2004. "Risk and Volatility: Econometric Models and Financial Practice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 405-420, June.
- David Michayluk & Patrick J. Wilson & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2006. "Asymmetric Volatility, Correlation and Returns Dynamics Between the U.S. and U.K. Securitized Real Estate Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 109-131, 03.
- S. Wong & C. Yiu & M. Tse & K. Chau, 2006. "Do the Forward Sales of Real Estate Stabilize Spot Prices?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 289-304, May.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Glascock, John L & Lu, Chiuling & So, Raymond W, 2000. "Further Evidence on the Integration of REIT, Bond, and Stock Returns," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 177-94, March.
- Charles Leung & Dandan Feng, 2005. "What Drives the Property Price-Trading Volume Correlation? Evidence from a Commercial Real Estate Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 241-255, September.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Qin Xiao & Randolph Gee Kwang Tan, 2006. "Signal Extraction with Kalman Filter: A Study of the Hong Kong Property Price Bubbles," Economic Growth Centre Working Paper Series 0601, Nanyang Technological University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth Centre.
- K. Chau & S. Wong & C. Yiu, 2007. "Housing Quality in the Forward Contracts Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 313-325, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rom:terumm:v:4:y:2009:i:1s:p:8-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colesca Sofia)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Colesca Sofia to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.