The stock market impact of German reunification: international evidence
This study uses a country beta market model and a multivariate GARCH conditional beta model to examine if German reunification has impacted upon country returns, across different nations. The results suggest a stronger reaction in European countries particularly those with closer economic links. The analysis also revealed that the most significant individual events occur in August 1990.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hughes Hallett, A J & Ma, Yue, 1993. "East Germany, West Germany, and Their Mezzogiorno Problem: A Parable for European Economic Integration," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(417), pages 416-28, March.
- R. D. Brooks & R. W. Faff & M. McKenzie, 2002. "Time varying country risk: an assessment of alternative modelling techniques," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 249-274.
- Hughes Hallett, A. & Ma, Y. & Melitz, J., 1996.
"Unification and the policy predicament in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 519-544, October.
- Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Ma, Yue & Melitz, Jacques, 1994. "Unification and the Policy Predicament in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hughes Hallett, A & Ma, Y & Melitz, J, 1995. "Unification and the Policy Predicament in Gemany," Papers 01, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Gwyn Adams & Lewis Alexander & Joseph Gagnon, 1992.
"German unification and the European monetary system: a quantitative analysis,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
421, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Adams, Gwyn & Alexander, Lewis & Gagnon, Joseph, 1993. "German unification and the European Monetary System: A quantitative analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 353-392, August.
- Ghosh, Atish R. & Wolf, Holger C., 1996.
"On the mark(s): Optimum currency areas in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 561-573, October.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Lee, Unro & Theodossiu, Panayiotis, 1994. "Time-varying betas and volatility persistence in International Stock markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 101-112, May.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Guofu Zhou, 1993.
"International asset pricing with alternative distributional specifications,"
CEMA Working Papers
277, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Zhou, Guofu, 1993. "International asset pricing with alternative distributional specifications," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 107-131, June.
- Greenslade, Jennifer V. & Hall, Stephen G., 1996. "Modelling economies subject to structural change: The case of Germany," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 545-559, October.
- George A. Akerlof & Andrew K. Rose & Janet L. Yellen & Helga Hessenius, 1991. "East Germany in from the Cold: The Economic Aftermath of Currency Union," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 1-106.
- Hallett, A. J. Hughes & Ma, Yue, 1994. "Real adjustment in a union of incompletely converged economies: An example from East and West Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1731-1761, December.
- Gagnon, Joseph E. & Masson, Paul R. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 1996.
"German unification: What have we learned from multi-country models?,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 467-497, October.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Paul R. Masson & Warwick J. McKibbin, 1996. "German Unification; What Have We Learned From Multi-Country Models?," IMF Working Papers 96/43, International Monetary Fund.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Paul R. Masson & Warwick J. McKibbin, 1996. "German unification: what have we learned from multi-country models?," International Finance Discussion Papers 547, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edward H. Gardner & William R. M. Perraudin, 1993. "Asymmetry in the ERM: A Case Study of French and German Interest Rates Before and After German Unification," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 427-450, June.
- Collier, Irwin L. & Siebert, Horst, 1991. "The economic integration of post-wall Germany," Kiel Working Papers 462, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Brakman, Steven & Garretsen, Harry, 1993. "The Relevance of Initial Conditions for the German Unification," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 163-81.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:1:p:31-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.