An empirical study on risk-taking in tournaments
Individuals faced by a tournament can often not only choose their effort level, but also the risk level of their strategy. There are some theoretical contributions on risk-taking in tournaments, which mainly point out disadvantages with respect to exerted effort. Empirical evidence is rare. This letter analyses the risk-taking behaviour of professional soccer coaches. It is found that risk-taking concerning the kind of observed substitutions is, indeed, relevant. However, risk-taking does not pay off.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hvide, H.K., 1999.
"Tournament Rewards and Risk Taking,"
32-99, Tel Aviv.
- Hans K. Hvide, 2000. "Tournament Rewards and Risk Taking," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0163, Econometric Society.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Michael L. Bognanno, 1988.
"Do Tournaments Have Incentive Effects?,"
NBER Working Papers
2638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Glenn D. Ellison, 1995.
"Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives,"
NBER Working Papers
5234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chevalier, Judith & Ellison, Glenn, 1997. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1167-1200, December.
- Chevalier, J. & Ellison, G., 1996. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Working papers 96-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hvide, Hans K. & Kristiansen, Eirik G., 2003.
"Risk taking in selection contests,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 172-179, January.
- R. H. Koning, 2003. "An econometric evaluation of the effect of firing a coach on team performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 555-564.
- Matthias Kräkel & Dirk Sliwka, 2001.
"Risk Taking in Asymmetric Tournaments,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse33_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Lee, Jungmin, 2004. "Prize and Risk-Taking Strategy in Tournaments: Evidence from Professional Poker Players," IZA Discussion Papers 1345, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry Reilly & Robert Witt, 1995. "English league transfer prices: is there a racial dimension?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(7), pages 220-222.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:12:y:2005:i:8:p:457-461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.