The relationship between individual and household measures of WTP and WTA
The article defines measures of individual and household willingness to pay (and to accept) in a general and flexible framework. It completely clarifies the relationship between the household measures and the sum of the individual welfare measures (the aggregate measures) which are in general different. The aggregate measures form only an upper bound for the corresponding household measures. The bounds (based on the information about individual measures) can be tightened by introducing additional assumptions about the decision process within the household. The results derived prove helpful for the theoretical analysis of household behavior, for the evaluation of nonmarket goods in environmental and public economics and for contingent valuation. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manser, Marilyn & Brown, Murray, 1980. "Marriage and Household Decision-Making: A Bargaining Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 31-44, February.
- Cornes,Richard, 1992. "Duality and Modern Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521336017, 1.
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998.
"Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," DELTA Working Papers 94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Discussion Papers 96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Department of Economics Working Papers 1994-02, McMaster University.
- Pollak, Robert A., 1981. "The social cost of living index," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 311-336, June.
- Phipps, S.A. & Burton, P.S., 1992.
"What's Mine is Yours?: The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
92-12, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Phipps, Shelley A & Burton, Peter S, 1998. "What's Mine Is Yours? The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(260), pages 599-613, November.
- Apps,Patricia & Rees,Ray, 2009.
"Public Economics and the Household,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521716284, 1.
- Dasgupta, Dipankar & Itaya, Jun-ichi, 1992. "Comparative Statics for the Private Provision of Public Goods in a Conjectural Variations Model with Heterogeneous Agents," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(1), pages 17-31.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2009.
"Household decisions and equivalence scales,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 1039-1062, October.
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1991. "Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept: How Much Can They Differ?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 635-47, June.
- Orazio Attanasio & ValÃ©rie Lechene, 2002.
"Tests of Income Pooling in Household Decisions,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(4), pages 720-748, October.
- Strand, Jon, 2009.
"Public-good valuation and intrafamily allocation,"
HERO On line Working Paper Series
2003:20, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Ebert, Udo, 2010. "Household willingness to pay and income pooling: A comment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 7-9, April.
- Ebert, Udo, 1987. "Axiomatic foundations of Hicksian measures of welfare change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 115-124, June.
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994.
"Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-96, December.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992. "Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation," DELTA Working Papers 92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- John Quiggin, 1998. "Individual and Household Willingness to Pay for Public Goods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 58-63.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Valérie Lechene, 2004.
"Collective and Unitary Models: a Clarification,"
CAM Working Papers
2004-15, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Slivinski, Alan D, 1987. "The Normative Characterization of Aggregate Consumers' Surplus Measures," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 559-81, October.
- Daniel T. Slesnick, 1998. "Empirical Approaches to the Measurement of Welfare," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2108-2165, December.
- Konrad, Kai A & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1995. " Family Policy with Non-cooperative Families," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 581-601, December.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Donaldson, David, 1992. "On The Aggregation Of Money Measures Of Well-Being In Applied Welfare Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Munro, Alistair, 2005. "Household willingness to pay equals individual willingness to pay if and only if the household income pools," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-230, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:40:y:2013:i:2:p:367-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.