The relationship between individual and household measures of WTP and WTA
The article defines measures of individual and household willingness to pay (and to accept) in a general and flexible framework. It completely clarifies the relationship between the household measures and the sum of the individual welfare measures (the aggregate measures) which are in general different. The aggregate measures form only an upper bound for the corresponding household measures. The bounds (based on the information about individual measures) can be tightened by introducing additional assumptions about the decision process within the household. The results derived prove helpful for the theoretical analysis of household behavior, for the evaluation of nonmarket goods in environmental and public economics and for contingent valuation. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/355|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ebert, Udo, 2010. "Household willingness to pay and income pooling: A comment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 7-9, April.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Valérie Lechene, 2004.
"Collective and Unitary Models: a Clarification,"
CAM Working Papers
2004-15, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Apps,Patricia & Rees,Ray, 2009.
"Public Economics and the Household,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521887878, October.
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1991. "Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept: How Much Can They Differ?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 635-47, June.
- Phipps, S.A. & Burton, P.S., 1992.
"What's Mine is Yours?: The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
92-12, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Phipps, Shelley A & Burton, Peter S, 1998. "What's Mine Is Yours? The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(260), pages 599-613, November.
- Donaldson, David, 1992. "On The Aggregation Of Money Measures Of Well-Being In Applied Welfare Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), pages -, July.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2009.
"Household decisions and equivalence scales,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 22(4), pages 1039-1062, October.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2009. "Household decisions and equivalence scales," Post-Print hal-00796058, HAL.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2004. "Household Decisions and Equivalence Scales," IDEP Working Papers 0404, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2008. "Household decision and equivalence scales," Post-Print hal-00156436, HAL.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2004. "Household decision and equivalence scales," Post-Print hal-00160180, HAL.
- Konrad, Kai A & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1995. " Family Policy with Non-cooperative Families," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 581-601, December.
- Munro, Alistair, 2005. "Household willingness to pay equals individual willingness to pay if and only if the household income pools," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-230, August.
- Jon Strand, 2004.
"Public-Good Valuation and Intrafamily Allocation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1351, CESifo Group Munich.
- Strand, Jon, 2003. "Public-good valuation and intrafamily allocation," Memorandum 28/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Strand, Jon, 2009. "Public-good valuation and intrafamily allocation," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2003:20, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Manser, Marilyn & Brown, Murray, 1980. "Marriage and Household Decision-Making: A Bargaining Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 31-44, February.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Ebert, Udo, 1987. "Axiomatic foundations of Hicksian measures of welfare change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 115-124, June.
- Orazio Attanasio & ValÃ©rie Lechene, 2002.
"Tests of Income Pooling in Household Decisions,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(4), pages 720-748, October.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994.
"Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
1994-02, McMaster University.
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," DELTA Working Papers 94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Discussion Papers 96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994.
"Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-1096, December.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992. "Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation," DELTA Working Papers 92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Pollak, Robert A., 1981. "The social cost of living index," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 311-336, June.
- Cornes,Richard, 1992. "Duality and Modern Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521336017, October.
- Slivinski, Alan D, 1987. "The Normative Characterization of Aggregate Consumers' Surplus Measures," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 559-81, October.
- John Quiggin, 1998. "Individual and Household Willingness to Pay for Public Goods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 58-63.
- Dasgupta, Dipankar & Itaya, Jun-ichi, 1992. "Comparative Statics for the Private Provision of Public Goods in a Conjectural Variations Model with Heterogeneous Agents," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(1), pages 17-31.
- Daniel T. Slesnick, 1998. "Empirical Approaches to the Measurement of Welfare," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2108-2165, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:40:y:2013:i:2:p:367-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.