Satisfaction with Time Allocations Within the Family: The Role of Family Type
This study examines the links between inequality in the time allocations of partners in couple families and the satisfaction they have with the way they spend their time. It uses time diary and self-reported satisfaction data from the 2006 Australian Time Use Survey. It shows that inequality in the time allocations of partners in couple families affects the satisfaction with the current allocation of time in families without children, but not in families with children. It is argued that the patterns of time use associated with children, specifically specialization in specific tasks, are the main reason for this finding. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2013
Volume (Year): 14 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/social+sciences/wellbeing+%26+quality-of-life/journal/10902/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2004.
"How Important is Methodology for the estimates of the determinants of Happiness?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 641-659, 07.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2002. "How important is Methodology for the Estimates of the Determinants of Happiness?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Andrew E. Clark & Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2008.
"Relative income, happiness, and utility: An explanation for the Easterlin paradox and other puzzles,"
- Andrew E. Clark & Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2008. "Relative Income, Happiness, and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 95-144, March.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Frijters, Paul & Shields, Michael A., 2007. "Relative Income, Happiness and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles," IZA Discussion Papers 2840, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wei-Ching Wang & Chin-Hsung Kao & Tzung-Cheng Huan & Chung-Chi Wu, 2011. "Free Time Management Contributes to Better Quality of Life: A Study of Undergraduate Students in Taiwan," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 561-573, August.
- Hallberg, Daniel, 2002.
"Synchronous Leisure, Jointness and Household Labor Supply,"
Working Paper Series
2002:11, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Hallberg, Daniel, 2003. "Synchronous leisure, jointness and household labor supply," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 185-203, April.
- Le, Anh T. & Miller, Paul W., 2010.
"The Effect of Children on Specialization and Coordination of Partners' Activities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4768, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Le, Anh T. & Miller, Paul W., 2010. "The effect of children on specialization and coordination of partners' activities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 237-241, August.
- Lyn Craig & Abigail Powell, 2011. "Non-standard work schedules, work-family balance and the gendered division of childcare," Work, Employment & Society, British Sociological Association, vol. 25(2), pages 274-291, June.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2007.
"Is Well-Being U-Shaped over the Life Cycle?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3075, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2007. "Is Well-being U-Shaped over the Life Cycle?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 826, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew Oswald, 2007. "Is Well-being U-Shaped over the Life Cycle?," NBER Working Papers 12935, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Battu & C. R. Belfield & P. J. Sloane, 1999.
"Overeducation Among Graduates: a cohort view,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 21-38.
- Mariano Rojas, 2010. "Intra-Household Arrangements and Economic Satisfaction," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 225-241, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jhappi:v:14:y:2013:i:4:p:1273-1289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.