Patient selection in a mixed oligopoly market for health care: the role of the soft budget constraint
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rosella Levaggi & Francesco Menoncin, 2013. "Soft budget constraints in health care: evidence from Italy," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 14(5), pages 725-737, October.
- Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Fernandez-Blanco, Victor & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 2004. "Allocative inefficiency and its cost:: The case of Spanish public hospitals," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 99-111, November.
- Biglaiser, Gary & Ma, Ching-to Albert, 2003.
" Price and Quality Competition under Adverse Selection: Market Organization and Efficiency,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 266-286, Summer.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2000. "Price and Quality Competition under Adverse Selection: Market Organization and Efficiency," Papers 0102, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Berta, Paolo & Callea, Giuditta & Martini, Gianmaria & Vittadini, Giorgio, 2010.
"The effects of upcoding, cream skimming and readmissions on the Italian hospitals efficiency: A population-based investigation,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 812-821, July.
- Berta, P & Callea, G & Martini, G & Vittadini, G, 2009. "The effects of upcoding, cream skimming and readmissions on the Italian hospitals efficiency: a population–based investigation," MPRA Paper 17671, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chalkley, Martin & Malcomson, James M, 1998.
"Contracting for Health Services with Unmonitored Quality,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1093-1110, July.
- Chalkley, M. & Malcomson, J.M., 1995. "Contracting for health services with unmonitored quality," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9510, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Daniel P. Kessler & Mark B. McClellan, 2000. "Is Hospital Competition Socially Wasteful?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(2), pages 577-615.
- Marcello Montefiori, 2008. "Information vs advertising in the market for hospital care," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 145-162, September.
- Marcello Montefiori & Marina Resta, 2009. "A computational approach for the health care market," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 344-350, December.
- Rosella Levaggi, 2007. "Regulating internal markets for hospital care," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 173-193, October.
- Gaynor, Martin & Vogt, William B, 2003.
" Competition among Hospitals,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 764-785, Winter.
- Martin Gaynor & William Vogt, 2002. "Competition Among Hospitals," GSIA Working Papers 2003-E20, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2003. "Competition Among Hospitals," NBER Working Papers 9471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & William B Vogt, 2003. "Competition among Hospitals," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/087, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Robert Nuscheler & Odd Rune Straume, 2006.
"Quality and Location Choices under Price Regulation,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 207-227, March.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002. "Quality and location choices under price regulation," Working Papers in Economics 24/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Nuscheler, Robert & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002.
"Quality and location choices under price regulation
[Qualitäts- und Standortwahl bei Preisregulierung]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 02-28, WZB Berlin Social Science Center.
- Rosella Levaggi, 2005. "Hospital Health Care: Pricing and Quality Control in a Spatial Model with Asymmetry of Information," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 327-349, December.
- Carol Propper & Simon Burgess & Denise Gossage, 2008.
"Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(525), pages 138-170, January.
- Burgess, Simon & Gossage, Denise & Propper, Carol, 2003. "Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9," CEPR Discussion Papers 4026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2002.
"Public and Private Provision of Health Care,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 109-133, March.
- Pedro P. Barras & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, "undated". "Public And Private Provision Of Healtch Care," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 438.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 2000. "Public and Private Provision of Health Care," CEPR Discussion Papers 2491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Annika Herr, 2011.
"Quality and Welfare in a Mixed Duopoly with Regulated Prices: The Case of a Public and a Private Hospital,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(4), pages 422-437, November.
- Herr, Annika, 2010. "Quality and welfare in a mixed duopoly with regulated prices: The case of a public and a private hospital," DICE Discussion Papers 07, University of Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Jofre-Bonet, Mireia, 2000. "Health care: private and/or public provision," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 469-489, September.
- Simona Grassi & Ching‐To Albert Ma, 2012.
"Public Sector Rationing and Private Sector Selection,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 14(1), pages 1-34, February.
- Simona Grassi & Ching-to Albert Ma, 2009. "Public Sector Rationing and Private Sector Selection," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-a, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Ching-to Albert MA & Simona Grassi, 2011. "Public Sector Rationing And Private Sector Selection," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-021, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Wright, Donald J., 2007. "Specialist payment schemes and patient selection in private and public hospitals," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1014-1026, September.
- Marcello Montefiori, 2005. "Spatial competition for quality in the market for hospital care," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 6(2), pages 131-135, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lamantia, Fabio & Pezzino, Mario, 2016.
"Evolutionary efficacy of a Pay for Performance scheme with motivated agents,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 125(C), pages 107-119.
- Fabio Lamantia & Mario Pezzino, 2014. "Evolutionary efficacy of a Pay for Performance scheme with motivated agents," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1408, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Rosta, Miklós, 2015. "Introduction of soft budget constraint to analyze public administration reforms. Some evidence from the Hungarian public administration reform," MPRA Paper 68473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Karpov, 2016.
"Health care inequality, patient mobility and welfare,"
AccessEcon, vol. 36(2), pages 1000-1009.
- Alexander Karpov, 2014. "Patient Mobility, Health Care Quality, Welfare And Regulation," HSE Working papers WP BRP 64/EC/2014, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsRegulation; Mixed health care market; Soft budget constraint; Asymmetry of information; I11; I18;
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:inrvec:v:60:y:2013:i:1:p:49-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.